RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Beautiful framing

Old 06-06-2010, 11:16 AM

Re: Beautiful framing

Hello
Dear Flora, just comment and criticize about something is so easy but showing a different vision of the job is so different. I think the best way to support an affirmation is displaying a better or newer version, as it should be according to the "Restoration Ethics Guidelines", right? Comparison is the best way to evidence who is wrong or not. Iīm so sure you have not only a very critical eye but a lot of advanced skilness wich will allow you to show us how should be finished this kind of work "according to the REG". Iīm really so curious about; I never thought before that I was doing something which is out of the rules.
Here you have the high resolution original file:
http://rs984tl3.rapidshare.com/files...ginal.jpg.html
Please take 2 minutes to download it and start doing the job whenever youīll have the time and the pleasure to accomplish with the new version.
Iīm not in the hurry, take your time. This is not a challenge, please do not missunderstand me. Take it as a simple manner to convince me that your affirmation is right and I was going in a wrong way.
Have my best regards,
Florin
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Dear Florin,

I never thought that ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Florin you are very talented and, personally, I think your work is excellent.....
...could be seen as 'criticizing' .... I was simply disagreeing about defining your work as 'restorations' and explaining why by posting the link to the Restoration Ethics Guidelines.

As for 'putting my money where my mouth is' ... well, I've been a member here since 2002 and I've done exactly that over and over in both fields: Restoration and Retouching ...

In the past, software and techniques weren't as advanced as they are today ... but please, take some time to go through my posts, challenges and tutorials ... your curiosity might be satisfied.

One last thing, mine was simply an opinion, based on the affirmations found on the linked site, and as for being 'right or wrong' I finish repeating the last sentence in my previous post..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
... as long as the customer is happy .... anything goes ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 PM

Well, Flora, Iīm so surprised that since 2002 up to the present day you still do not see or make the difference between a photography and a brush worked (painted) image. ŋAre they the same thing for you?
This job was one more I did in a long row of this kind of restorations or however youīd name it. Can have some small details in the final art, they always are, but this is not the point. If you should look close the original file Iīve been uploading, you should see this, we have here something different but not a photography. This is the point. I canīt make a photography restore over a painting. I must restore the painting as it is, like it or not.
So, is this a restoration or what?
About the software, let me say that is not relevant for me. This work could be done with Photoshop 6 if you want. Same tools, same workflow. Itīs about skilness, thatīs all.
I hope the original file will help you understand better whatīs about all this.
Have my best regards and a nice day,
Florin
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
Well, Flora, Iīm so surprised that since 2002 up to the present day you still do not see or make the difference between a photography and a brush worked (painted) image...
.... I do know and see the difference .... and it might come as a disappointment to you but I did know and see it even before joining RetouchPRO.
Quote:
This is the point. I canīt make a photography restore over a painting. I must restore the painting as it is, like it or not.
... I have never talked about "photography restore over a painting" I talked about the definition of restore/restoration and, actually, I didn't refer to the picture posted here specifically, but, more generally, to what I've seen of your work here.

Surely being as informed as you are you know that you can restore photographs, paintings, and even originally brushed/painted images ...

just as you can retouch photographs, paintings, and even originally brushed/painted images

or create a personal/artistic version of photographs, paintings,
and even originally brushed/painted images.

The difference between restoration and the other manipulations/elaborations is to be found in the Guidelines ... and this is my point.
Quote:
So, is this a restoration or what?
... I am surprised you ask ... definitely not in my opinion and not for the Restoration Ethics.
Quote:
I hope the original file will help you understand better whatīs about all this.
... well, Florin, maybe re-reading the points listed in the site linked above and my previous posts will help you understand what this is all about.

A nice day to you too...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 PM

I belive itīs time to let this here and donīt keep bothering the other people with our discussion. This could take a whole year and you and me keep argueing over the theme.
Anything we are doing here is a REAL restoration, is just a virtual and personal version of the original image, made in a computer.
The real restoration is the one when you or me should work directly with the object, could be furniture, clothes, paintings or photos. Work with the proper tools and rebuilt, remake, repair the physical damages in situ, with our hands. But we are doing something different, we create a NEW IMAGE and itīs so natural that different people have different ways and skillness levels to accomplish such a job. How should you re-make or call it restore a manīs picture with the half of his face missing? Ofcourse I agree with you when you say thatīs "create a personal/artistic version of photographs, paintings and even originally brushed/painted images". Sometimes Iīve received only pieces of an image and I was forced to "guess" how the real guy looked and this way restore/remake/rebuilt it. I also agree with you that my technique must be enough distinct but the results are too.
Anyway, I think that the skilness comes with the years, the personal "touch" too and everyone is free to work as he likes. With or without the REG rules. Remember that "an image worth more than 1000 words". This is what the clients want, a good new image as close as possible to the older one. They do not know about the REG. Are they whrong?
So, Flora, you are right, I am right and this story has a happy end.
Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2010, 11:59 PM

to all,

ah, i see we're back to the same point i raised when you first arrived here, is it a restoration or is it photo art/retouching, or something else. and i also see some taking exception to it being called a restoration. interesting. i would like to remind everyone that there was a form of photo restoration, before the digital age, that involved painting a reproduction of a damaged/faded photograph. that was, and still is, a form of restoration. thus, florin's work DOES fall into the restoration category. he is restoring it from something not so good, to something better. basically, if i understand his previous posts, he is essentially clone painting, for the most part. and, if nothing else, when i look at his before and after, i see something that looks a lot better than the before. i would also point out that quite a number of folks here in this forum and in some of the contests, do the same thing, only usually on a smaller scale. when someone changes a background to enhance things from the original, that's not truly restoring in the sense of an archivist restoration. yet, i've also seen folks ooh and ahh over that same 'restoration' in restoration contests. and no, i'm not talking about anyone here in this discussion in particular. i've often preached the 'pure' restoration and do, myself, prefer that method. however, florin's work is a restoration in that he is restoring but then also goes that extra mile of enhancing. so, it is a restoration, but it's also a bit more than that.

other than lqqker's comments on the workmanship, which are fine, i dont quite see the point to the rest of this. and florin, a 'real restoration' might well be working ONLY with the original, but we all know that we're working with digital copies here, so let's stay on point. i would also point out that there seem to be some language barrier issues here, so stay tolerant, folks. frankly, i got a bit lost in some of this due to language, too.

and, at least we all agree that the if the client likes it, then we dont much care what it's called

oh, and aartist, get in line... most of us have crushes on flora
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 AM

100% agree. i also belive itīs time to stop this forever-nonsense discussion.
letīs close the post, whatever had to be said was said. by-by post.
thank you all,
florin
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 AM

I for one, would like to see what Flora would do. That would give this discussion something to compare.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Hi Candice.
What a beautiful work on http://www.flickr.com/photos/clearimage/... Congratulations!
About the post, I think itīs better to let him dead.
Thank you and keep on working as you are doing it now. Very nice.
Regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 AM

I think it looks great. I am guessing most people who ask Florin to restore their pictures, have seen his style and that is what they are hoping their pictures will look like when he has finished.
Excellent finished result.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration