RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

All channels look bad in stained hand colored B&W

Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 AM

Question All channels look bad in stained hand colored B&W

Hello there!
I am a second time newbie, as I used to restore photos before but, that was a couple of years ago and I had forgotten many things.
My mom is trying to make a painting out of some old photos and I offer to help as an excuse to get back in track with Photoshop and to restore some other not-forgotten photos that have been patiently waiting their turn...
I have CS3.
I did remember about the channels but they all look bad. Am I overlooking something?
Thank you,
Virginia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turbiam_03.jpg (90.5 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Patron

Re: All channels look bad in stained hand colored

Well I took a look at your photo and your right. All the RGB and CYMK channels look bad. So it looks like you are going to paint some too to restore this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 PM

I would want to know if there are more photos of this person to compare.
Very little detail left in lower face. Very difficult if this is the only photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 PM

Virginia,
Welcome back. I'd agree. Also, there appears to be some distortion possibly caused by the scanner. You may wish to start with a better scan.

This appears to be a hand tinted b&w image. The color was not particularly good, so you may be able to replicate any damaged color quite easily. That means you could try to exploit any method for the restoration steps, even if it involves working in b&w. These older portraits were notoriously smooth also. That means you could repair areas, then add back grain to match the original later. Since this looks like it will be more of an artistic restoration, you may want to examine the method used by Florin. He just posted a short video of himself doing a restoration with his painting technique. It's in this same forum. It demonstrates the speed and skill at which he can do such a restoration. You may want to add more texture/grain to your result, but otherwise, it will be a similar process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Unhappy Re: All channels look bad in stained hand colored

Thank you all for your replies.
aartist: Thank you. I do have another photo... it is worst but at least I have the information of the chin. It has a very strong texture. I did try the steps by Flora here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...old-photo.html but I ended up with a very soft face with textured eyes and mouth. I am lost. I think I have to dig up some old books and start from the beginning as I don't remember.

TommyO: Thank you, I am not interested in keeping the color, but at least to see the face expressions. In this new attachment I see more info on the blue channel, but I really don't know how to use this idea to my advantage. I am definitely going to check to Florin video. Thank you!

I was also reading in the section of physically restoring photos, there is a technique to remove mold by puting the slides in the freezer. I wonder if somebody knows if this could be also applicable for paper photos (?)

Virginia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color-02.jpg (96.7 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Patron

Used FFT filter in Image Analyzer (Operations>Filters>Frequency Domain Filter) for paper texture

trying to find some details copy layer, copy layer... using Polaroid dust and scratch filter, (free) with the 'Light' box checked, create a hide all mask for the layer and paint white on the bright spots... then merged down..... copy layer..then for the dark spots run it again with the box Un-checked (Default) at a much lower amount and use a hide all mask to limit what is repaired by painting white on the black spots you want fixed.... then merge down....

high pass sharpened
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color-02rp.jpg (189.9 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I was also reading in the section of physically restoring photos, there is a technique to remove mold by puting the slides in the freezer. I wonder if somebody knows if this could be also applicable for paper photos (?)
i've never done this and i'd be VERY careful about doing this. if there is any moisture left in the film, we know that moisture expands when frozen, which means if the film or paper are brittle, cracked or ready to peel off, you're risking further damage. now, i'm NOT a conservator, so i'd probably check with someone who is before taking such a measure. it might be fine, but it might also cause more damage. so, why risk it; check with someone who knows for sure first.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration