RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

joining pieces of a ripped photo

Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 PM

joining pieces of a ripped photo

I have been given a photo ripped into 16 pieces and have been asked to do a Humpty Dumpty job and put it back together.

Using CS4 but pretty new new to this so apologies for such a dumb question...

...I've scanned the pieces and put each on its own layer. Starting with one piece, I created a a masking layer for it and was hoping that I'd just be able to 'slide' that piece along until it 'fits' with the one next to it and then flatten the two layers together. Repeat for the rest.

So far, though, I haven't been able to find a way to actually move that part of the masking layer - I felt sure it would be a breeze. Doh!

So, in simple terms - emphasis on the term 'simple' - am I on the right track here?

I should add that I'm up against a bit of a deadline. Am I starting to panic just a little? Er, YES!

Any clues appreciated or maybe there's a beginner's tutorial that would do the job?

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Re: joining pieces of a ripped photo

Hi Reiver, welcome to RetouchPro. Have a look here: http://retouchlive.blip.tv/
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 PM

From the way you have described it, it's hard to understand where the problem is happening. Amica999's tut video will probably help a lot, but a screen shot of your image and layers pallet might also help us understand where your problem is. If you have each piece on a separate layer and masked, it should be a simple matter of using the move tool and the free transform to align the layers as best as possible by hand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM

That's brilliant - thanks very much!

It's quite uncanny that the photo I have is a remarkably similar wedding photo but taken more recently. I guess there is a story behind it because it seems to have been ripped up in a fit of pique...;-(

Thanks again for your help - could get me out of a tight spot!

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM

There are 16 pieces numbered from top left to bottom right. The bottom RH corner is layer 16 and the one to its left is layer 15.

Layer 15 is the only layer I made a mask for so far but I just couldn't figure how to move it around... how embarrassed am I?

If that makes any kind of sense then I'm making progress...;-)

John

[screen grab attached - I hope]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screengrab.jpg (90.4 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
I have been given a photo ripped into 16 pieces and have been asked to do a Humpty Dumpty job and put it back together.

Using CS4 but pretty new new to this so apologies for such a dumb question...

...I've scanned the pieces and put each on its own layer. Starting with one piece, I created a a masking layer for it and was hoping that I'd just be able to 'slide' that piece along until it 'fits' with the one next to it and then flatten the two layers together. Repeat for the rest.

So far, though, I haven't been able to find a way to actually move that part of the masking layer - I felt sure it would be a breeze. Doh!

So, in simple terms - emphasis on the term 'simple' - am I on the right track here?

I should add that I'm up against a bit of a deadline. Am I starting to panic just a little? Er, YES!

Any clues appreciated or maybe there's a beginner's tutorial that would do the job?

John
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads: (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).

Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post

Layer 15 is the only layer I made a mask for so far but I just couldn't figure how to move it around... how embarrassed am I?

If that makes any kind of sense then I'm making progress...;-)

John

[screen grab attached - I hope]
Select layer you want to move.... Use the free transform tool to move image

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 06-28-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ADDED TEXT
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Select all the indididual pieces and put them on their own layer ([Shift]+[Ctrl]+[J]), then change the blending mode for each layer to "Darken" ([Shift]+[Alt]+[K]) and move them together. Maybe you'll need to free transform/rotate ([Ctrl]+[T]) them to get them fitting.
After you aligned all the pieces, it's a matter of stamping ([S]) and healing ([J]).

I'd be interested in seeing all of the parts :-)
Always fun to do those!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Hiya Reiver

Just a quickie from me, I did a quick selection of each full piece and jumped them to thier own layer(you already have each on it's own layer) then I free transformed and moved each piece into place, linked them together and transformed them level, then clone and patch up the seams.

I've included my layers pallet in with the attachment, hope it helps.

John

Ah Jonas just beat me to it :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torn-up.jpg (98.2 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 AM

Thanks to folks here for their help.

I think I've cracked it now and, while I don't yet have a final image, I'm pretty sure I know how to get there. I don't know what I was doing wrong and why that layer 15 wouldn't move. I suspect I was trying to make it more difficult that it should have been - the 'window' was moving, but the image stayed put!

Still have major conceptual difficulties with masking but I'm working on it...

Der_W: I'm a tad ruluctant to post all the pieces as I don't have the permission of the owner - probably shouldn't have posted an identifiable partial image anyway, but it's too late now...

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 AM

I proudly own the "Photoshop CS2 masking and compositing" by Kathryn Eismann and guy, I wouldn't live without it! I strongly recommend this book.

http://www.photoshopmasking.com/
HTH
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration