RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Fading problem

Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 AM

Re: Fading problem

Florin, I opened a new image at 800 dpi ran a grey to darker grey gradient then added noise to it... you could start around 4 monochromatic and go from there. Before the noise i did a levels on it the banding got real bad. added noise and there was no banding you will need to play around with the noise level to get what is comfortable for you ... btw you do really nice work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 AM

Glad you like my example guys. I think that preventing or eliminating banding is down to one single thing: dithering, as to perceptually simulate more luminosity levels than the 256 that are actually possible with the 8 bit per channel images we always have to fall back on. On the pic I posted I applied multiple times the linked diffuse filter at a radius of about 20 on small selections until I was satisfied with the overall aspect. On some places such as the near the arrow (which shouldn't be there normally anyway) the diffusion generated unwanted artifacts which I eliminated easily with the built-in Photoshop dust and scratch filter. I also applied a little a bit of gaussian blur overall after the diffuse processing as to even out as much as possible. Of course applying too much of it would make banding occur again as it would get rid of the dithering completely.

I tried to figure out a method for dithering making use of the Photoshop dissolve blend mode but could not figure out anything satifactorily in the end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 PM

i get these bands sometimes when working with smudge or 'push'. one would think you could simply lower the opacity on those brushes to smooth out the gradient, but in fact, you have to raise the opacity. just one of those things.

also, in psp, if you airbrush and use smudge/push ON THE SAME LAYER, you can get this and other weird effects, so it's always best to put those two tools on separate layers from each other.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2010, 02:08 PM

Florin I found this video on smoothing a gradient. its for a blue sky but should work with what you are having problems with.
http://vimeo.com/4569340
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 AM

Florin you could try smoothing the edges of each grey with the healing spot tool .
It should allow one gray, to fizzle into the next.
I sometimes use it when I have to remove marks on images that have got hard edges but are otherwise still part of the picture. There is also the blur tool in the tool palette below the sponge tool if you hold the cursor over it which is useful for very mild corrections.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 04:47 AM

Hi Florin, in addition to what was said above, you should also check your screen by painting a black to white gradient across the whole screen with the gradient tool (or using one of BW test charts off the internet).

The gradient you painted should be smooth, continuous, and look black and white (no shades of magenta or green etc). If it isn't, it means the screen needs to be calibrated. Cheaper screens will display bands in BW gradients even after calibration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 07:37 AM

what sam said, that is the first thing I do with all monitors I get, also sometimes a file comes to you upsized from a 72dpi file to a 300+dpi file and you will get the banding.

Is it in all 3 channels? If you have a clean channel you can copy and paste the clean channel into the banding channels and using a color sample point on grayscale and curve the pasted channel to the original channels density. I do this all the time for moire's.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 AM

Hi. Well, I`m using this one for the calibration, I made it some time ago:
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?mezfzmir0kd
The main monitor is LG Phantasy, 19", 1280x1024, 4:3, works splendid.
I don`t think it`s a calibration problem. I had before some other brands monitors and this problem too when I`ve been using levels, particulary on auto levels mode.
This time I blured and add some noise, like I did it before
Thank you for the answer
PS I`ll try this idea of the channels
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration