RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Historic Restore Project needs Help

Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 AM

Re: Historic Restore Project needs Help

Tom,
We certainly appreciate your giving us the opportunity to chime in on such a wonderful heirloom. I agree with the others on some points, but started differing on some of the next steps to take.

I feel there may be some benefit for you to do two things. 1. Get an informal appraisal by sending a photograph over the internet to one of the big named art houses. Hopefully, one that mentions they will do free appraisals if you give them first look. That's Ok. 2. Have a good local photographer take some very clean high resolution photographs of the image for your own personal preservation and keepsake purposes (you keeps rights to those photographs).

With an appraisal in hand, you can then determine a.) do you sell the image and let them take on all the preservation work; or b.) do you not sell the image and you must then take on the preservation work at your cost.

Preservation is not cheap at all. You could easily spend $2k to $10k to preserve an image that size, then $2k again every 5 years. So, unless you just can't stand to sell the image, you should sell it and keep a very good reproduction in your home for sentimental reasons. When inking the deal, you could also ask that your family be given origination rights to the image in all signage or plaques they post at the photo. They are going to ask you to sign away all rights, leans, etc, to the image. You will have plenty of opportunity to insert your request for origination rights.

Hope this helps and let us know if we can help guide you more on some of these other ideas.

Here are two links that may be interesting to read. They also contain other links to good conservators.

The American Institute For Conservation
Northeast Document Conservation Center
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Gentleman, I am Overwhelmed and very Grateful for your responses. Yes, the project is to big for me. One of the big problems of dealing with AZ is Apathy. Have many hobbies and a great many unfinished projects. However your enthusiasm has lit a fire under my butt that is burning a hole in that blanket of Apathy. Thank you, you have given me a challenge.
The mind of an AZ is dying, the connection to memories and ability are being severed. However, the mind continues to create new memory cells that are ignored and just wilt, unless harnessed. There was a time that I could not dial the telephone. I discovered 'Plasticity' of the brain. The old brain is dyiing, so harness the new. Use it..or Lost it. Have BS & MS in computer science, but all is locked away. I use the computer to provide the projects to keep the mind challenged, active and functional. A person is told they have AZ, incurable, no help with cooping for them, friend & family takeover for the poor devils & they just gives up and deteriorate. What else can they do? I refused to let this happen. I have lectured AZ patients & caregivers, offering to help those who want to improve the quality of their lives. No one has ever accepted. This is certainly not the proper venue for such a lecture, But you will have family and friends who will get AZ. Encourage them to learn something they have never done. New learning creates new pathways & new memories. Also helps create new pathways to the old memories that had been lost.
So, I now have a most valuable new challenge. Have photo eqpt, 8 mg ram, CS4, lots of time to make and correct mistakes & figure things out.
Thanks again, will keep you informed.
Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Patron

The Museum of Art suggested this website for general care, and restoration of old photos... Care and conservation of old photographs along with the restoration page. Also, there are numerous other links on the site which can be very informative. They also suggested you seek out a conservator of photos in your area so that if anything is to be done, it can be done properly...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Hello Gentlemen,

Ref: Cris,
Sorry for delayed response, learning my way around a site of this type. Have never entered a group site of any kind before. You were the first to respond and I have been amazed with the response.

This update is for all who have so kindly responded, so perhaps you could spread the word, as I don't know how, yet.

I have decided to make available a section of the print for those interested. The condition being that they return to me a copy of their work, and the details of their changes. I can then learn by duplicating there schedule , until I can obtain the same results. They may keep the copy I had sent them.

To that end I tried unsuccessfully to photograph the print within frame: reflection. Then removed frame, removed matboard, attempted to remove print from backing expecting to find an ID of printer or framer. However print has bonded itself to the backing (age, heat, pressure, ?) and is quite brittle. I have taken snapshots for you and will post something tomorrow.

As was suggested I will begin to scan the print, as high res as possible. It is a scan that I will make available. Have had this scanner for some time but have never hooked it up, so will have a learning curve to get over.

For OlBaldy (fellow sufferer, keep covered or spend a fortune sending your dermatologist on several topical vacations)
Your Tip: “Scan in Color” Thanks, never would have considered it., as print is B&W. Close call.
Hawaii and now Florida so unable to overcome the high humidity and heat. My options are limited as I now survive on Food Stamps. At one time I had a considerable museum level collection oriental art and wood carvings. After turning them over to my daughter, she had the painting professionally preserved. We gave no thought as to the value of this pic. I kept it simply because I liked it. As I had found it, it was free and If foolishly never added any additional value to it. Intend to now turn it over to her for safe keeping. Many great suggestions, thanks again.

Ref: tbergphoto.
Appreciate your concern. Important that I work it out myself, as explained prior. Much obliged, Tom

Ref: mistermonday.
Have adapted your excellent suggestion, as noted above. Took me awhile to accept the sharing, but it is a fair exchange. I never imagined that there would ever be such interest. Mahalo.

Ref: Kraellin
You found it, good hunting. Suggest that you Google the “Laurence Captive Airship” and see how they took the pic. Quite a feat in 1906 considering they used kites and a rare 19 inch focal length DAGAR lens made in 1905.
This is a dramatic example man positive progress:

“In 1905, George R. Lawrence, a photographer in the Chicago area, captured the attention of the US Army and Navy with his methods of aerial photography. President Theodore Roosevelt, fresh from the Spanish-American War, requested the US Army and Navy ask George R. Lawrence to demonstrate his “Captive Airship” method of aerial photography for potential military uses”

“After demonstrations to the US Government, both on land and from ships, the Navy report indicated that Lawrence’s methods had promise and the US Government should acquire rights to the concept and further develop the technique for military use.
”Lawrence, however, continued to improve a “train of kites” system and had his “Captive Airship” working when the 1906 San Francisco earthquake struck. Using a sequence of kites and guywires, a camera platform stabilized with three outstretched booms, and an electrical device to trigger the shutter, he was able to take some of the now famous aerial panoramic photos of San Francisco in ruins after the earthquake and fire. “
"In 1900, he built the world's largest camera to take a photograph of the Alton Limited locomotive, owned by the Chicago & Alton Railway. The camera weighed 1400 pounds (640 kg) and used a 4.5′ × 8′ glass-plate negative.

So gentlemen, tis all for now. Aloha, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by twtracy View Post
Gentleman, I am Overwhelmed and very Grateful for your responses. Yes, the project is to big for me. One of the big problems of dealing with AZ is Apathy. Have many hobbies and a great many unfinished projects. However your enthusiasm has lit a fire under my butt that is burning a hole in that blanket of Apathy. Thank you, you have given me a challenge.
The mind of an AZ is dying, the connection to memories and ability are being severed. However, the mind continues to create new memory cells that are ignored and just wilt, unless harnessed. There was a time that I could not dial the telephone. I discovered 'Plasticity' of the brain. The old brain is dyiing, so harness the new. Use it..or Lost it. Have BS & MS in computer science, but all is locked away. I use the computer to provide the projects to keep the mind challenged, active and functional. A person is told they have AZ, incurable, no help with cooping for them, friend & family takeover for the poor devils & they just gives up and deteriorate. What else can they do? I refused to let this happen. I have lectured AZ patients & caregivers, offering to help those who want to improve the quality of their lives. No one has ever accepted. This is certainly not the proper venue for such a lecture, But you will have family and friends who will get AZ. Encourage them to learn something they have never done. New learning creates new pathways & new memories. Also helps create new pathways to the old memories that had been lost.
So, I now have a most valuable new challenge. Have photo eqpt, 8 mg ram, CS4, lots of time to make and correct mistakes & figure things out.
Thanks again, will keep you informed.
Tom
Yeee!! HAAAAA!! Three cheers for you Tom! HOOT! HOOT! HOOT! Keep on Keeping On!! Way To GO!

Positive outlook deserves positive feedback, You are an inspiration to us all!

Keep up the good work.... You Da Man!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Thank you, I appreciate that. As I live in Ocala,FL, may I inquire where in FL are you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by twtracy View Post
Thank you, I appreciate that. As I live in Ocala,FL, may I inquire where in FL are you?
0lBaldy is in Kansas... 'Sweetlight' (Chris) and a bunch of others here at RetouchPRO are in Florida...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Anyone in FL close to Ocala that I might visit for help?

Have taken Pics with Kodak Z740, doc setting, looks good. Now trying to send you (1) full print & (1) close up.

Have: Epson Perfection 4490 Photo Scanner, Never used it so will today install, learn and scan print for you. Keep you informed.
Aloha Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 PM

well, i love restoring old black and whites, so i took the one OB posted the link to and worked on that one. this is basically my standard routine with the exception that i did some patching on the fold lines and dark shadows in the sky before doing a fade correction. and after the fade correction it was back to standard fare of clone, airbrush and push. oh, and i used a hue/sat adjustment layer to take out the color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a34470u[1]-1-k-1c-rp.jpg (199.0 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 PM

Nice job Kraellin!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration