RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Historic Restore Project needs Help

Old 08-13-2010, 08:10 PM

Re: Historic Restore Project needs Help

Wow Kraellin, that is fantastic. Never would have thought it possible to do what you have done. Now I know what to aim for when I attempt it.

Finely have the scanner setup and working. Tomorrow I will scan the original print at: 4800 x 9600dpi, 48 bit color, and save as TIFF. Not sure what I'm doing but that seems to be the max available. Will end up with 8 sections. Plan to make available asap the center portion which has the large bldg surrounded by rubble. Expect it will take forever for me to patch them together.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Patron

Craig, nice job! And you are an inspiration.
Best regards,
Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Patron

That looks GREAT Craig!

You made me go to my Recycle Bin.. because I had already done it and dumped it.. (I do em and dump em) any how, I had not cleaned out the bin yet so... I revived this copy to post and show some subtle differences in my approach..

I did a single image HDR before repairing the seams, desaturating, and sharpening.. it seems to have really brought out all the smoke and dust that was going on... sort of makes you wish there was a before picture to compare all the destruction... I tried to straighten the horizon but it just lost toooo much of the sides after cropping to clean the edges... so I left it slanted (which is better for a restoration any way)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SingleHDRPlus.jpg (198.5 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 PM

Attempt to upload snapshots ?? but failed, sorry

Last edited by twtracy; 08-13-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: error
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2010, 12:00 AM

thanks, aartist

thanks, murray

thanks, OB

tom,

you asked me in a private message to say more about my process. i do this so much that i tend to just say 'my standard fare' any more. but, i'll post what i remember.

i start by duplicating the base image in another layer over the base/background image.

i then add a blank raster layer over these.

in this image, i started with the clone tool with the blank layer active. i generally start cloning at a fairly small size and an opacity of somewhere between 40 and 60%. i think i used 40%. the idea with cloning is to draw image data from one area and clone it into another area you want to fix or change. but, if you have the opacity up too high the cloned material will be harder to blend into the new area. so, keep the opacity down and dab in a little at a time and draw from many surrounding areas to keep things looking natural.

with your image i started on the sky. all that dark gray seemed more like photo damage rather than a natural occurrence. i took out most of the dark and smoothed these in by dropping the opacity down to as low as 28%. this allows one to blend cloned material into the surrounding area easier.

by using the same technique, including a new blank layer over all the others, but a smaller brush, i then cloned out the fold lines. i also used the 'push' brush, which in photoshop is like the smudge tool set to heavy. the push tool i use to blend things in tight spaces.

after those two areas, i did a 'copy merge' and 'paste to new layer' to put all these other layers into one. i then used the 'fade correction' filter to bring out the image more. it generally gives more contrast. i think i had it set to about 40.

over the top of this i added a new blank raster layer and i went back to cloning, pushing and airbrushing. airbrushing is similar to a real airbrush in that you are painting information into the layer. those three tools are my 'standard fare' in doing black and white restores. i worked on the ground. this was somewhat difficult because i was hardly ever sure if i was wiiping out real smoke in the image or just old smudges and blurs and such. there, you just have to take your best shot and hope you get it somewhat right. this is why the highest resolution a person can get on the image is so important. it helps to show the difference in real photo and damage.

to do the hills i added yet another blank raster layer and used airbrush almost exclusively. i set the brush to no higher than 3%, in other words, very low. i want to add just a little at a time and then i gausian blur this layer to spread the 'paint' out more evenly. i then take the eraser tool and erase any overflow into unwanted areas. i may also even erase some of the paint in places i want it just to make it look better. the eraser is set to no higher than 5%.

i then did the foreground using all three tools, airbrush, push and clone. there was a lot of tiny work and i'll also use the eraser on some of this at times. your best friend here is the undo button. i have my undo button set for unlimited undo's so i could conceivable undo 1000 actions.

once i had things fairly good, i did another copy merge and paste to new layer. i duplicated this and ran a hue/saturation adjustment layer over this and reduced the saturation to almost nothing. i rarely go to complete desaturation, but on this one i went close.

after that, it was a lot of touch-up. the borders needed work. i did this with the push brush. i drag the brush just a tiny little ways then hold down the shift key and move the cursor all the way along the border and set it so when i click the left mouse button the push effect will drag in a straight line from where i initially set it to where i ended setting it. this is very handy for making straight lines with an effect.

there were several blank raster layers in this final touch-up. i set the clone to 28 to 32% and clone-painted the sky smoother. clone-painting is where you use the clone tool like a paint brush, holding it down and moving it around. normally, i use the clone tool by dabbing, but in clone painting, i do the above. this smooths out bad transitions from earlier work and makes things look a bit smoother and cleaner.

all of this really boils down to some very simple actions. i often use a contrasting filter, in this case the fade correction, to bring out more detail. i follow this with clone, airbrush and push. i'll sometimes also use a brightness/contrast or a 'clarify' filter, both of which are used to help 'find the image'. if you can bring out the detail very early on, it makes working on the rest of it much easier. in your image, i decided to veer from this a tiny bit. the gray in the clouds was obvious and so were the fold lines, to i did most of the correction to those first. then, i brought out the image more with the fade correction filter.

so, find the image, then fix it. that's the basics.

i hope that helps.

if there are any terms up there you dont know, ask. it's entirely ok. bear in mind also that photoshop and other programs wont necessarily have the exact same tools and filters as paint shop pro (psp) (which is what i used). but i like psp for its easier interface, simple tools and easier learning curve. and, it does have a couple things photoshop doesnt have. but, since you have cs4, i'd go with that. folks here can translate psp tools into photoshop pretty easily.

the image isnt that hard to work on. it's a fairly good one to start on. there are some tricky areas, but there are also some easy areas you can affect in a big way relatively quickly, like the fade correction.

cloning, airbrush and push are all tools that take practice. the tendency is to try to do too much at one time. that was something i had to constantly fix when i was first learning. turn those opacities and sizes down and take some time to do it right. it'll pay off. lots of folks are looking for the quick fix on restores. i do too, but i've had to recognize that to do it right you often have to do it manually. that doesnt mean you cant use automated filters and such, but you do need to know when one process isnt working where another might. all of that takes practice and observation and like i said in the private message, learn each tool... practice, practice, practice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Very grateful Craig, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM

you're welcome

i do expect you to post some of your work now
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 01:28 AM

I honestly have been trying Craig, over and over. As had been suggested, I have taken a picture of the entire print, and a closeup of the hotel. They are now in PS, untouched and excellent quality. But have been unable to transfer. Can't understand why. Decided to let the problem rest and tackle the scanning of the print. Tonight downloaded the Epson drivers, etc. for the Win7 64. Tested OK for trial scan, Home Mode. Tomorrow must learn to set up using the Professional Mode to get max resolution and total control of scan settings. My assumption is that more is better, and you can downsize to whatever you want, but not up. There will be 8 scans, in TIFF, so very big files. Will let you put them together as would take me months at the success rate I'm working at. It is my observation that my print is much clearer that those on the web. You may recall that I did not intent to make the copy available. However, you gentleman have been so generous with your assistance, this is my only way of saying Thank You. This project is the only thing I'm working on, but the mind doesn't retain the learning so thing go slowly. It is the Challenge of trying that is important to me, not the final result. However I do feel very much indebted to you gentleman to get you the results. Hang in there with me, and have patience.
Aloha, Tom (trying again: Sun 2:24 am)

Found the problem: "Your file of 561.8 bytes exceeds"", just one item. So, tomorrow will revise file size (another thing to learn, another delay)
Better to have tried and failed, if you learned from it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Patron

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host/upload your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread.

Other Hosts: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 05:43 PM

If this works, thanks to Flora and Jeaniesa. Tis quite fantastic the time and effort that you folks have put in to provide help.

These are still photos: full size and closeup. Camera on tripod as recommended. Wow, what a struggle to get this far.

Miracle of miracles, it worked. Feel like a new father. Aloha Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SanFran_CloUP_forWeb_Snap.8.15.10.jpg (96.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SanFran_FlPrint.02_forWeb_Snap.8.15.10.jpg (96.0 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration