RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Historic Restore Project needs Help

Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 PM

Historic Restore Project needs Help

Dug Nelson suggested I post this here:
I have an original framed 1906 photo of the 'Runes of San Francisco', taken from a kite (the 'Lawrence Captive Airship') high over Nob Hill. A copy of this photo is in the National Archives, but it is quite beat up with 3 fold lines. My photo is unblemished as new, except for the brown color changes of age.
I do not want to sell it, or release a copy for others to exploit. I like the fact that I have such a treasure. Just see it restored for preservation, and pass it on to family. I am 81 with early Alzheimer's and trying to organize wile I can. Have PS4, and Coral suite. Trouble remembering how to use them and looking for help, trial and error would take more time then I may have left. Vi sable portion is 24" x 30", so appreciate will need to photograph it. Help here also.
Have spent considerable time in site looking for relevant help, but not find. Hope you might lead me source if information I need.
Your consideration will be greatly appreciated, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Re: Historic Restore Project needs Help

TW, Show us what you have, maybe some of us can do work as a group on it, I just don't know how bad it is til you show me.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Patron

Tom, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. have fun!

Hope we can help you

Do you have a flatbed scanner? if so scan it several times making sure that each scan overlaps some (so the individual scans can be put back together in Photoshop).. Scan in color at the highest resolution with everything automatic turned off.. (color adjustments, ICE.. dust/scratch/spot remover, brightness/contrast, etc... all OFF)

Attach one of the representative scans here so we can better assist you..

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads: (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).

Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM

Hi Cris, absolutely no doubt that the Group could do the job, and have fun with it. But the problem is that the print seems to be the only known copy other then the Nation Arcives. Lots of info on how it was taken on the web. Could be of great $ value. A glass negative plate of Ansel Adams was just found and valued at $20 MIL. If I put a digital copy up for the public, then copies go all over the place and what I have is no longer unique. Its not for sale, just want to save it if I can. Lived in HI and found it 60 yrs ago, way back up in Monoa Valley (just jungle then), in a collapsed shack, in the middle of a banana patch. All I wanted was the wood frame. There was a poster in it. When I took off the back, the photo had been turned around and used to hold the poster. Been in my den ever since. Just recently became curious about the ' Lawrence Airship' and discovered what I had. Just dumb luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Tom
Not sure how we can help you.
Sounds like photoshop may be too difficult for you - perhaps you can find someone local to work with you (so you don't have to let the print out of your posession)?
Is there a college or university close? I bet there would be a grad student or someone trustworthy that could advise you....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Patron

Tom, scan the photo or take a picture of it with a digital camera. Crop a section of the photo which is representative of the faded or stained area. Post that section or sections here by attaching it to this thread. That way you will not be exposing the entire photo. Many folks here will be glad to offer suggestions or show examples how retouch it. Then you or one of your family members who can apply the same techniques on the entire image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by twtracy View Post
Just see it restored for preservation, and pass it on to family.

Hope you might lead me source if information I need.
Your consideration will be greatly appreciated,

Tom
Tom, I have some feelers out... so, if and when I hear back from the Museum of Art staff that deal with old photos, I will get back with you about preservation steps to take...

In the meantime... beware of fluctuations of humidity, it will give you problems with cracking and curling, and mold growth acceleration. The photo should be stored in a protective archival type sleeve and kept in an area where the temperature is around 60 degrees. Control the humidity in its storage by the use of whatever means is avaliable (Silica gel beads desiccant packed in a vapor-permeable plastic to control local humidity, might help here) Try to keep the RH at around 40%. The photo when displayed should be kept out of intense light--natural or artificial. Of course normal precautions like handling the photo sparingly with gloved hands making sure not to bend or crease it always applies.

Now the question is... Do you want just the original preserved.... and/or... copied so the copy can be displayed and the original preserved and stored properly?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 PM

i agree with OlBaldy. have a conservator look at it asap and make sure you preserve the original with whatever care the conservator recommends. you might also ask the conservator to do a digital scan and make sure they give you a copy and that they destroy/erase the scan from their computer.

and, being that you dont wish to post a copy of the image here, you might point us to the national archive site where the other exists so we can see what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Patron

I think this fits the criteria and might be the picture from the archives
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 PM

that sure fits the description, right down to the four fold marks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration