RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

having issues with a photo.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 AM

having issues with a photo.

I'm trying to restore this photo of my grandmother and aunt and it was going pretty well until i found that the image is either really pixelated or has jpeg artifacts. i tried using the reduce noise filter in photoshop but that only made it worse and i was going to scan it again to see if i just scanned it on a low setting but my scanner is freaking out. i know that i could probably fix it with just the clone tool but that will take forever. if anyone has any advice on how to fix this i would be very grateful.

http://tinypic.com/r/27x4jlf/4
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Patron

Re: having issues with a photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downfall89 View Post
I'm trying to restore this photo of my grandmother and aunt and it was going pretty well until i found that the image is either really pixelated or has jpeg artifacts. i tried using the reduce noise filter in photoshop but that only made it worse and i was going to scan it again to see if i just scanned it on a low setting but my scanner is freaking out. i know that i could probably fix it with just the clone tool but that will take forever. if anyone has any advice on how to fix this i would be very grateful.

http://tinypic.com/r/27x4jlf/4
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, take part in some of the discussions, challenges, etc., offer help, have fun!

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread as you did here, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).

You can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

Is the link to a WIP (work in progress, that you have worked on) or the original scan?

A scan in color with all automatic settings turned off is preferred (no dust/scratch removal, brightness/contrast etc)

what you see may be a paper texture which could be handled with a FFT filter (Tutorial)

If it is paper texture... entering FFT in the search function above will provide a lot more information
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Patron

Downfall89, welcome to RetouchPro. What I see on your image is not pixelation but patchy areas where the the surface has been damaged, abrased, or degraded with time. There are many ways to approach the retouch, but using a noise filter is not one of them.
- For the faces, you could select the skin and jump them to a new layer and blur just enough to smooth out the skin.
- you could use the Healing brush with and without Content Aware
- you could use gradient maps to even the tone on selective areas
- you can try a degrunge layer
- you could dodge and burn
You will find tutorials for all those techniques on RP tutorial and forum sections
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 08-10-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM

If you really want to take the easy way out there is an online photo editing service called Megafixels.com that will fix it for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 PM

MegaFix,

welcome to RP.

please dont advertise in this sub-forum. you are free to post your ad(s) in the classifieds sub-forum and/or you may submit a link to the links library. you may also put a link in your 'sig' in your user profile, but let's keep the restoration forum for peer to peer help on restoration, not ads for professional services.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration