RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old school photograph

Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 AM

Re: Old school photograph

yes, i see that, but when i duplicate a channel it is just that, a duplicate. this is not a true alpha channel, but simply a layer. i dont know how PS treats all this, but in PSP an alpha channel is a specific designated channel that is not and R G or B channel. it's a separate channel which is generally considered to be an actual integral part of an image file. layers arent really alphas, though they can appear to function almost like one at times. so, again, i'm still a bit confused. if he made an actual alpha, which is possible but completely different than simply duplicating a channel, then i dont see mention of this.

sorry, i know this is annoying and perhaps i have a misunderstanding of what PS calls an alpha channel. that's quite possible. i dont call masks alphas, usually, though they can be, so maybe this is confusing things. is a mask automatically called an alpha channel? perhaps that's the confusion i'm having.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Try getting a good scan on a quality scanner with a high dynamic range to capture the greatest amount of shadow detail. Create an Edge Mask of the unretouched image. Duplicate the background, sharpen it a good amount, then apply the edge mask to that sharpened layer. Finally create a Merged layer and perform a Shadow/Highlight adjustment if required.
The image you attached is highly compressed and has severe jpg pixelation so it was not really usable. You should be able to get pretty good results with a hi res scan.
Regards, Murray
Ok !!! I'm going to try this too...
The attached image was highly compressed... When I tried to reduce the original size.. the photo was too small !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 AM

Many thanks for all your help...
So, I'm going to work on this picture... once again... hoping that...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
yes, i see that, but when i duplicate a channel it is just that, a duplicate. this is not a true alpha channel, but simply a layer. i dont know how PS treats all this, but in PSP an alpha channel is a specific designated channel that is not and R G or B channel. it's a separate channel which is generally considered to be an actual integral part of an image file. layers arent really alphas, though they can appear to function almost like one at times. so, again, i'm still a bit confused. if he made an actual alpha, which is possible but completely different than simply duplicating a channel, then i dont see mention of this.

sorry, i know this is annoying and perhaps i have a misunderstanding of what PS calls an alpha channel. that's quite possible. i dont call masks alphas, usually, though they can be, so maybe this is confusing things. is a mask automatically called an alpha channel? perhaps that's the confusion i'm having.
I sorry for being a smart A$$ Craig,, I forgot you are a PSP guy..
Guess it is a difference in PSP and PS... In PS If you click the little circle icon at the bottom of the channel menu(or Ctrl click the selected channel) it loads a selection of the channel selected... then if you click the mask icon next to it, ... it will save the selection as an Alfa channel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alpha.jpg (104.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 08-20-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: added pic
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by figueline View Post
Ok !!! I'm going to try this too...
The attached image was highly compressed... When I tried to reduce the original size.. the photo was too small !!!
Yeppers lots of artifacts in the posted image.. this is all I could do with it...

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread.

Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg School_pixelated-version.jpg (197.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Yeppers lots of artifacts in the posted image.. this is all I could do with it...

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread.

Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
Here's a larger resolution...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VGMFBHIC

Thanks...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 02:24 AM

Or :
[img=http://img167.imagevenue.com/loc148/th_88991_Ecole_Avant_122_148lo.jpg]
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Patron

Craig, I also forgot you are not a PS user. olBaldy's response is correct. I duplicated one of the channels in the Channels Palette; I did not duplicate the entire layer.
I have never used PSP so I am sorry but can't show you the equivalent.
Best regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Craig, I also forgot you are not a PS user. olBaldy's response is correct. I duplicated one of the channels in the Channels Palette; I did not duplicate the entire layer.
I have never used PSP so I am sorry but can't show you the equivalent.
Best regards, Murray
I followed your "instruction"... but the end result... is very bad !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Patron

Figueline, choosing the correct radii is important. That value will be different depending on the resolution of your image. The technique is pretty sound and fundamental. It shapens edges of the image while protecting other all the areas. When prepared correctly its pretty hard for an Edge Mask to make the image look worse that it started.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration