Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing discoloring

Old 09-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Re: Removing discoloring

Yes, LonK, extremely nice work. Wish you would explain in detail the ins and outs of Apply Image and could you throw in Calculations as well? Have worked with both, some, but know I have not yet figured out how to get the full potential from either. None of the books or training DVDs are very explicit on either Apply Image or Calculations. Maybe Wayne Palmer could cover these in his presentation today.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the compliments, folks.

kmmbkworm: Detailed ins and outs of apply image and calculations is way beyond the scope of a single forum entry. If you Google 'photoshop apply image' or 'photoshop calculations' you'll find tons of info, tuts and videos. Peruse as many as you can and, if you're like me, eventually you'll get the 'aha' moment.

Here's a general rule of thumb I follow. If I need to MODIFY an EXISTING layer image, layer mask or channel based on the contents of any channel, apply image is my tool of choice. If I need to CREATE a NEW alpha channel (or selection) based on the contents of 1 or 2 color channels, calculations gets the nod.

Did I have to use apply image for the task at hand. Certainly not. Like anything else in PS, there are usually dozens of ways to achieve a similar result. E.g. to replace the trashed blue channel with the green, one could copy green/paste in blue, but <apply image - green - normal> is quick and easy. This resulted in bluish grass. To make it green I used <apply image - red - add, scale 1, offset -100> with the sky masked. One could have used curves to darken the blue channel. One could burn the area on the blue channel. Etc.

The bottom line is know the tools at your disposal - experiment, practice diligently. Learn to analyze a problem image and specify what needs to be done. Then use the most appropriate and efficient tool to correct each problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks LonK for the excellent advice. Will definitely research online for resources. Love PS and have been using it since Version 6. Use PS daily with restoration business. Yet, seldom a week goes by that I don't learn something else about PS. Have used Apply Image and Calculations in the past but was not really pleased with the results. Refuse to give up, however. Looking forward to my 'aha' moment with both.

Love the description of knowing when to use Apply Image versus Calculations. That in itself is an 'aha' moment.

Your bottom line about knowing your tools is fantastic advice. Most projects I get through with little or no problem now. Amazing how much faster you can complete a photo project as your knowledge of the program increases. But, there is always that one challenging photo that nothing seems to work and you start digging deeper into PS. I refuse to accept there is not a solution to each problem.

Retouch Pro gurus recently introduced me to the FFT filter which solved an immediate challenge. Even though I taught PS for four years and have used PS about 12 years or more, I had never heard of the FFT filter.

Can't recommend Retouch Pro enough.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration