Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help removing stains

Old 11-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Re: Help removing stains

Working on the coloured version (and mostly on the stained part of the face), I made a selection of the stains.
I used a Selective Colors Adjustment layer and a blank layer set to Lighter Color to minimize the staining. (Attachment 1 my result after these two steps)

I used Frequency separation and D&B to remove the scratch on the cheek-jaw line and to smooth and blend in the harsh edge lines of the stain. (Attachment 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-106.jpg (60.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-107.jpg (120.8 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 PM

a shame, Ro. your help is always good and always welcome!

beautiful job, flora!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Question Re: Help removing stains

Originally Posted by LonK View Post
Actually 4 layers: Background, low freq, high freq, color. I find separating the color aids in working on the other two as I only have to deal with luminosity. Of course, in this case, the color is pretty monotonous and straight toning would work just fine.

On the original separation, I used a very high GB radius. This essentially put most of the damage on the HF layer. Using quickmask, I loosely selected only the stained part and used surface blur to pretty much wipe it out. Then I added weak film grain to get back some texture. On the LF layer I did the macro D&B to correct the luminosity and contouring. For my quickie demo (10 minutes), I just used the dodge/burn tools right on the layer. To go totally non-destructive, a clipped grey layer works just as well.

That's incredible restoration work. I've downloaded this photo & I would like to learn this process. I've done a search for "frequency separation" & "d&b" but am unable to find any specific instructions on the whole process. What is frequency separation, what is the theory of it & what are it's uses. I'm familiar with d&b on a 50% gray layer (white brush/black brush, low opacity) which is how I do most if not all my d&b. I use the HP filter & GB filter when making certain masks & for sharpening. I've just learned that the HP filter & the GB filter when set at the same radius will sort of cancel each other & change nothing. Kind of like Congress.
Would you mind sharing the step by step process. (If so, please be specific). If you've written a book on this, please tell me where I can buy it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2010, 10:06 AM

@drphotohap: Thanks for the compliment. The most comprehensive info about frequency separation can be found at the Model Mayhem forum (link in post by Philbach in this thread, post #8 above). It's not a book, but could be, based on the length of that thread. Coming to grips with FS is sort of like learning to "see" stereograms. You practice and experiment until you "get it". Good luck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration