Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Technique for dealing with background

Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Re: Technique for dealing with background

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick911 View Post
Just one thing.......pts 2 & 3 are the same video. Did you deal with the background in Pt3?
I replaced part 2 which I think was the same as 3
try the original links above

tell me if thats better
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 AM

Your very kind, thanks again Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM

hi designer,

i like most of your techniques and even learned a thing or three. your colorizing is a bit diff from mine but i liked your use of the overlay mode and may have to borrow that one, myself. the dust and scratches and subsequent masking was interesting and i've done similar with paint shop pro's 'digital camera noise removal'. i hadnt thought of using the levels with masking to shade, however, but it makes perfect sense with your other techniques.

you've made a couple choices that i might or might not have made, depending on what style, mode or era one was going for, but those are subjective choices, or cilent choices. the main one is overall grain in the image. the older the film, often the more grain is noticable, so if you were trying to restore to the time period, then leaving more grain showing would be good. if you were trying to bring an older photo up to a more modern look (which some clients prefer), then a more smooth look would be good. the same holds true for the colorizing. taking out the gray pixels from the woman's face does make it look better, but it's not quite as representative of making it look like an old time colorization, but again, this is a personal preference or client requested feature. totally up to you and the client. i just mention it here as reference for others doing this sort of thing.

another personal preference is the shading. i wouldnt have gone quite so dark on the some of the suits and background, particularly the background. you had some detail there that got kind of faded out by being a bit too dark.

oh, and the guy on the left's forehead... overshaded. you have to stay consistent with the original lighting and the forehead got painted a bit too dark. you can sometimes justify it by altering some of the other lighting or even changing it completely (very hard sometimes), but in older photos, even studio photos, the lighting was often fairly simplistic. this one seems to have been shot purely from the front, so a somewhat bright forehead is perfectly fine, but the darkened one looks out of place.

maybe i'll have to start a challenge or two in the forum here for restoring to a certain period, regardless of the original image and its time frame.

overall, you did a nice job. because you seem to know your way around this stuff and certainly photoshop, i was bit nit-picky, so dont let my remarks bite. ya done gooder

oh, and extra points for doing the videos! very helpful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 PM

Hi Craig,

The feedback is much appreciated. I think all your points are spot on. I think my errors are linked to a minimal interest in the project.

Personally, I avoid restoration and colorization whenever I can because its tiresome and not what I enjoy doing. As a result, I have little opportunity to practice it and haven't looked into getting good at it.

That said, I'm a sucker for someone needing help so I dived into this thread and others like it. But, give me a retouch project and I'm much more interested in learning everything I can.

Again, thanks for the kind words and good advice.

Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM

you're welcome.

and the help is appreciated, particularly the videos!

besides, i learned a couple things and that's always good. in fact, i already used your levels mask technique. in psp i dont really have to mask the levels layer. it comes up as a b&w so i just paint black to erase and paint white on it to add back. works a charm. i've done that on other filters; dont know why i never tried it on levels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 AM

OK, I had a shot at this. I wanted to keep the feel of the period and I hope I have achieved that. I would appreciate feedback on how I might improve on it.

I found this so rewarding and I wouldn't have been able to achieve it without this forum. A very big thank you to all those that have helped me and a special thanks to Tom, designer74 whose help has been way beyond the call of duty

This restoration will be a gift to the daughter of the bride and groom who is 80 years next month.

http://markwebb.smugmug.com/photos/1...6_aoKjs-X2.jpg Original

http://markwebb.smugmug.com/photos/1...tNZ4k-X2-2.jpg My Colorization

Last edited by maverick911; 10-28-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer74 View Post
here's my take on the image (stayed up till 5am getting this recorded and uploaded)

it should play in fullscreen mode and 720p

parts 1-3 are prepping the image for colorizing:
sharpen, noise and dust removal, fix imbalance of lights and darks, lower brightness on too bright areas, add vignette to focus attention on the subjects

part for is beginning of colorize
i didn't do whole image as what I did on one person could be done for rest of image

part1 http://www.youtube.com/v/zMqhbDYsXqs&fmt=22
part2 http://www.youtube.com/v/yY6MFjknHuA&fmt=22 fixed link
part3 http://www.youtube.com/v/7G3x85dxhsM&fmt=22
part4 http://www.youtube.com/v/-rBppXw6xak&fmt=22

Hope this helps. Tell me if anything is unclear.

Craig, would like your feedback if you have a chance.

Tom

I've enjoyed what I've seen but for some reason only vids 1 & 3 are working for me. 2 & 4 wont load. Not sure if I'm the only one having this problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 AM

They work fine for me. When you have seen Part1 go to Toms Channel on Youtube and view direct from Youtube. That should work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick911 View Post
They work fine for me. When you have seen Part1 go to Toms Channel on Youtube and view direct from Youtube. That should work?
Have you tried them today?

This is what I'm getting. But maybe it's a problem with my service provider.

EDIT: this does seem to be happening on other youtube channels for me as well today, so it's very likely a problem on my end..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 5.jpg (34.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Flashtones; 10-29-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Yes, all working today. Go to Youtube and search tomteacehesphotoshop. That should work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration