RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How to improve hair line

Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 AM

How to improve hair line

This is my second shot at a colorization. I am a little dissapointed in particular with the hair line, both hair line/face and hairline/background. Looks too defined. How can I soften? I would also like to blush the cheeks a little. What is the best way to achieve that?

I would welcome any other suggestions or critism. I found the background tricky to deal with as I cant see what it is.

http://markwebb.smugmug.com/photos/1...4_aq8kv-X3.jpg

Last edited by maverick911; 10-24-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Re: How to improve hair line

sorry, but i dont see anything really wrong with the hairline. and i dont quite understand what you mean by 'too defined'... dont we want these things defined? what i'd do is add just a touch more saturation on the whole... just a touch. i'd also be tempted to do a little noise reduction, though pics of that era did tend to have a little more grain.

the simplest way to add blush to her cheeks is to just use a little airbrushing... opacity no more than 3 and best if done on a blank layer. add more to suit or use a low opacity eraser to reduce the effect. if that doesnt work, try the same thing only set the blend mode of the blank layer to color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM

Hi maverick911,

I agree with Craig about the hairline, what I think might be the problem is that the brush used for colouring wasn't 'fuzzy' enough so the colours didn't really blend into each other giving you a harsh edge line.

The colours you used are very nice and soft but you left the 'eye whites' completely grey and that makes the eyes look unnatural. Same goes for the teeth which have been left grey and very dark.

I have collected some excellent colourizing tips from Vikki here, if you like colourizing B&W images, you should read them!

Couldn't resist and had a go at your picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_1061240834_aq8kv-X3.jpg (198.7 KB, 117 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Beautifully done, Flora :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
sorry, but i dont see anything really wrong with the hairline. and i dont quite understand what you mean by 'too defined'... dont we want these things defined? what i'd do is add just a touch more saturation on the whole... just a touch. i'd also be tempted to do a little noise reduction, though pics of that era did tend to have a little more grain.

the simplest way to add blush to her cheeks is to just use a little airbrushing... opacity no more than 3 and best if done on a blank layer. add more to suit or use a low opacity eraser to reduce the effect. if that doesnt work, try the same thing only set the blend mode of the blank layer to color.
I guess what I see is a line around the edge of the hair. I think my mistake was to make a selection and colour it. I think the brush will give a better result?

Thank you Craig.

Last edited by maverick911; 10-25-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi maverick911,

I agree with Craig about the hairline, what I think might be the problem is that the brush used for colouring wasn't 'fuzzy' enough so the colours didn't really blend into each other giving you a harsh edge line.

The colours you used are very nice and soft but you left the 'eye whites' completely grey and that makes the eyes look unnatural. Same goes for the teeth which have been left grey and very dark.

I have collected some excellent colourizing tips from Vikki here, if you like colourizing B&W images, you should read them!

Couldn't resist and had a go at your picture...
Ciao Flora, what can I say! What it needed was a womans touch - gorgeous. Can I ask how you did the skin? Is it just one colour or have you air brushed in any way? Should I use a soft round brush? Thanks for your response, I am grateful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 AM

amica999, maverick911,
thank you so much for your kind feedback!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick911 View Post
.....Can I ask how you did the skin? Is it just one colour .........? Should I use a soft round brush? Thanks for your response, I am grateful.
  • Starting with a 'light sepia' tone, for colourizing this image I used blank layer set to Color ( for each individual part that needed to be coloured) where I simply painted on a flat base colour.
  • To enhance or make the colour applied look more natural, like for the skin tone, I added a Selective Color Adjustment Layer and/or a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer.
  • I always use the 'fuzziest/softest' round brush to apply colour. I go for a low Opacity (20-30%) because I rather add gradually than already overdo it at the first application. I use a harder edge Eraser brush to clean up colour 'bleeding'.
  • To add a 3d feeling or enhance shadows and highlights I use the Dodge&Burn technique using black, white or coloured brushes at a very low Opacity (5-10%). In this picture used on cheeks, eyes and hair.
  • I'm not very fond of 'airbrushing' so, to smooth skin etc., I rather use a noise removing plug-in or software. (personally I use Neat Image)

Attachment 1 > from Light Sepia to Selective Color Adjustment

Attachment 2
> Selective Color Adjustment tweaks

Attachment 3 > Snapshot of my workflow (different Layer Groups for Colorizing and Correct/Enhance).

Hope this helps ...

P.S. I like your clean and accurate way of applying colours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-067.jpg (81.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-068.jpg (99.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-070.jpg (186.3 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
amica999, maverick911,
thank you so much for your kind feedback!!!

P.S. I like your clean and accurate way of applying colours.
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
And thank you so much for your help

That is so helpful, especially the snapshot of the sequence of Layers. I also have Neat Image and find it very good. This is where Tutorials are good but not great. I watched a tutorial on colorization and it only used Hue/Sat layers and mentioned nothing about Opacity or brush style and so that is all I have been using. My accurate way of applying colours was based on that tutorial but that is why my edges were too sharp and defined. The way you use a fluffy brush and reduce opacity is much more effective.
I will try and put into practise.

Thank you once again
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 PM

beautifully done, flora! i love the hair hightlights and the pink additions and excellent skin tones. just superb
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 PM

Great work Flora like always.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration