RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Techniques for Blown Image

Old 11-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Techniques for Blown Image

Hi everyone,

I've reviewed several threads discussing this topic, but as I'm fairly new to restoration, I'd like to get some opinions/details on the best approach for restoring the attached photo. There are just so many approaches. I know I can darken some of the areas, but there is a lot of missing details. Any thoughts about replacing the background to improve the people in the picture? I'm using Photoshop Elements 7. Appreciate your expertise.

Thanks Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img537.jpg (89.7 KB, 139 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Patron

Re: Techniques for Blown Image

As you have already identified there are many ways to approach this type of restoration. I do not think there is neccessarily a 'best way or approach'.

My personal view is keep as much as the original as possible assuming that it is recoverable - this includes the background! I would only change the background if it was really too bad. In this case I would not want to make drastic changes.

Had a quick play - if it is any help these are the steps to get to this stage (think this should work in Elements 7):
1. Duplicate layer and set to layer property to multiply
2. Dup again set to multiply
3. Dup third time and add layer mask and paint over foreground figures and background missing the two standing ladies.
4. Convert to B&W
5. Add a curves layer and mask the standing ladies. Adjust curve to match rest of image
6. New layer and retouch sky as required

There is still a lot more work that could be done to improve the image but I think that this is not too bad a start - hope you find it useful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family.jpg (97.0 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM

The only thing I would do also, was to give the final image a very light sepia tone, like the original. For the rest I think the Tony's approach was correct (like He says, there's many...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM

I agree with Tony's approach however rather than duplicating the background layer I would simply add a levels adjustment layer (without changing the histogram) and set the blending mode of the adjustment layer to Multiply. You can then duplicate this layer as many times as you need to and mask areas which become too dark. You cna also adjust the opacity of yoiur adjustment layers. Elements will not allow you to add layer masks however layer masks are automatically added to adjustment layers. This method is also less destructive.

You may also need to D&B select areas. Alternatively, a favourite method of mine to darken areas without compromising the contrast of the is to add a colour burn adjustment layer and gradually build up the tones with a black brush set at a very low pressure. (approx 4% ) Use a soft brush
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Thanks all, I have Grants Tools on PSE and have the masks figured out. However, Tony W, you said:

5. Add a curves layer and mask the standing ladies. Adjust curve to match rest of image

I'm not sure I understand how to mask the standing ladies and adjust the curves. Can you provide a little more detail there? I can add a curves layer.

Thanks Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Patron

Bill
Have attached image again -may make it a little clearer. BTW I think Carol's method of using either a levels or curves layer better/more flexible.

To mask the ladies you can paint directly on the levels or curves layer mask (make sure that you click on the mask part before painting to make it active). In this case I used the quick mask tool in CS4 and painted over the heads and shoulders then inverted the mask.

Once this is done you can then adjust the levels or curves to bring density and contrast to where you want on the masked area without effecting the rest of the image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FamilyCapture.JPG (91.9 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Try going down to the BG layer 2 , invert the mask to black and paint in the 2 women with white
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 PM

How about some Highlight / Shadow adjustments?
Turn off the shadow adjustment and focus on the highlight adjustment.
Make sure you open the "Show more options" button.
Just trying to get back as much detail as possible. Still a lot of work to do.
-Jeff
jdsevier.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldPhoto_1.jpg (96.7 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration