RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Color or not

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Patron

Re: Color or not

Thanks a lot guys. You have certainly given me encouragement to give it a shot. I can't believe how much color you were able to pull out of it. The original picture (a little 3x5 shows next to no color at all. I will post the result when I get done. I am not real experienced with this but one of my kids gifted me with CS5 for Christmas and I sure do not want their present to go to waste. This is the only picture that my wife has of all of her brothers and sister in one shot and the oldest boy and girl have passed recently so it will mean a great deal to her.
Thanks again,
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 PM

much better dave. that higher res image is much easier to work with.

as you can see from the work from the group here, much can be done to bring this color back. the damage, scratches and other messes can also be cleaned up a fair amount. i decided to do a little work on this one, also and touched up some of it here and there. i did most of it on the boy on the left. i rebuilt the eyes on him and the boy to his left. i also worked on most of the clothing of all of them, but again, mostly on the boy on the left.

my technique was mostly 'finding the image' first, which involves 'fade correction', 'local tone mapping', 'brightness/contrast adjustment' layers and possibly a few other things. after that, it mostly airbrush this time with some cloning and push/smudge.

all in all, i think this image could be cleaned up quite nicely with a fair amount of work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandysibsoriginal-psp-1-k-1a-rp.jpg (198.8 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 03:11 AM

I'm intrigued by this image and would like to try following your methods to achieve a similar result. Any chance someone could PM a jpeg of the original to me as I don't want to register on another site?
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
...............Any chance someone could PM a jpeg of the original to me as I don't want to register on another site?
R.
Just click on the link posted in Dave810's post to Imageshack - you do not need to register!

Once the small image has loaded click the zoom button and you will get an image size of 1900x1300+ pixels - just right click and copy then paste into PS
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Doh! Thanks Tony; I missed that post. This retouching lark is ruining my eyesight!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration