RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Estimate advice for photo restoration (digital)

Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Re: Estimate advice for photo restoration (digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPF View Post
I would probably spend about 2 hours on that. I'd charge $100, plus GST. Could be longer, but that would most likely be due to me being picky/experimenting, not something I can charge the customer for!
In these 2 hours, is a color recovery included?

Last edited by chillin; 01-16-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 PM

I still do not beleive this could be done in 2 hours. I'm working pretty fast and estimate some 6-7h at least. Remember that charging some $150 or more oblige you to deliver a first class retouch. If not...client

Last edited by Florin; 01-15-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 AM

"holl here do not to business"...

We are not bidding, just changing opinions regarding the working time and so on. This is another guy's work, dear devil.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM

I agree, that's a wonderful old photo. Perhaps my expertise is lacking compared to some of the posters, but I know I myself would be on the project most of a day due to the extensive damage. Also, African-American skin color can be tricky to get right as it varies considerably, if it's a color image. Is it sepia, or just that discolored? As someone else stated, there's no serious damage to critical areas though, so it looks like a great project I would heartily welcome. Enjoy the work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM

I'd charge about $50 CDN for a photo like this, and it'd probably be done in about two hours.

The only real questionable part about his picture that could make it more difficult is the stain over the eye-- eyes are usually the hardest part to repair, and that's why I'd estimate two hours, because I'd be spending at least 20-30 minutes trying to fix that eye properly (my weakness).

The rest is pretty much easy fluff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 PM

well, i thought i'd give this a shot. dont ask what i did this time. it was spaced out over quite a few days and psp doesnt save the history with saving the image. i do know it was a lot of clone, push, and airbrush, with some tone mapping, fade correction and just good ole plain love
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig-resized-500x651-1-k-1c-rp.jpg (167.6 KB, 124 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 AM

Unfortunately I'm in a hurry with my private projects and have some delay with the delivery of several retouch jobs waiting in file. This means I have very little time for other activities. However, I spent almost 1 hour doing this piece:

http://i54.tinypic.com/x1wrgm.jpg

My points of view:
1. increase the resolution at least to 300-400 dpi.
2. working with original colors has no sense, there are no colors, just an orange tint spread all over the image. maintain the rgb mode but desaturate the picture. you'll appreciate better your progress, make better transitions and more precise. when all will be done you'll add the color(s) of your choice.
3. very little help of the plugins, this needs 95% brush work.

I did not made some hair texture in this sample. I usually finish all the head retouch and leave the hair as the last task before to add the colors.
I'm maintaining what I said before, some 6-7 work hours to do a fine job.
Remember that we have here not a common picture, in fact this is a portraiture and this means more work, more details.
My best regards to all of you,
F

Last edited by Florin; 02-17-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 AM

I agree with Florin;This photo done PROPERLY would take more than 2hours (THAT SAID)

The problem with a lot of Restorations is "THE TIME" they are time consuming,THEREFORE
become expensive to do I mean take Florin"s Estimate(as an example) 6-7 hours x$25.00=$150-$175 plus cost of a print plus taxes in your area.Total?? $200-$225? How many clients are actually willing to pay this?I think not a lot
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 AM

I worked for an hour on this using mostly filters and plugins,no addition of colour and a very quick go with the repair brush , it might possibly be a colour pic originally.
I think you would be hard pushed to have a finished product in 2 hours, it depends very much what the local competition are charging for similar work as to what you could ask for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worked.jpg (48.1 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM

I agree, very few people are ready to pay the real value of a high quality project like this one. I must confess that I'm really charging less when I'm dealing with this, some $85-90 but this is not distubing me from my real goal: accept the challange and try to do the best I can. This is the only way to improve your technique and look for the perfection of your art. If we'll avoid this retouch cathegory for financial reasons we'll never be able to perform it. Low and mid level retouch are more convenient for our pockets, we know this, however a real artist is growing due to the hard challenges, with the hard work. Just cloning some spots and scratches will not help our continous learning process. I love retouch, I enjoy what I'm doing and this is the most important milestone for me. We also know that a happy client will be a client for life. Good stuff is selling too, maybe not every day but it does.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration