RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Estimate advice for photo restoration (digital)

Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Re: Estimate advice for photo restoration (digital

RooB, here you'll find something of your interest, how to draw an eye:
1. http://www.stval.fr/index.php?option...5&limitstart=2
2. http://www.stval.fr/index.php?option...5&limitstart=3
Have fun
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Dang, Florin, Stephanie has uber art skills!

I was watching her speed paintings, that's pretty unreal in what she can create from scratch!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 AM

You could do it too. It's a practice matter. Have patience and go on
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM

I did a levels adjustment and used the patch tool to fill in most of the white blotches. Not finished by a long way, needs more work to get rid of the stains. the photo is a color photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig-resized-500x6511.jpg (98.4 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Well, this is only my point of view, I'm not intending to say this is the only way, the best etc. Woking with this mess of orange tints should be a pain for my workflow. It's true that is a color picture but only one color. Just some brown-orange color so this is FOR ME useless. If I'm working in the grayscale I can appreciate better the transitions, have no problem with the tints mix and add 1 or 2 color layers is a 5 minutes end of the job. It's the same workflow of any kind of vintage image retouch, sepia for instance, you desaturate, make a great and precise retouch and just use Hue/Saturation or Color Balance to redo the equal sepia tones.
I repeat, this is my way and my technique. I'm not saying "You must do this!" etc. Every retoucher has his own way to fix the problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample-copy.jpg (84.3 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 AM

I wasn't trying to disparage your work Florin, I wish i could do half as good as you. I was just trying to show another way to do the work with out plugins or filters. it is just my way of doing things and i am no expert, just a part time restorer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM

Sure, dear friend. We just share opinions Every one's technique and workflow is a learning source and this includes me, I'm still a student I'm always trying to understand and learn more. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2011, 02:56 PM

I think it is a color picture, but also I think that Florin's work flow serves this pic well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig-resized-500x651D_chillin.jpg (132.3 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
I agree with Florin;This photo done PROPERLY would take more than 2hours (THAT SAID)

The problem with a lot of Restorations is "THE TIME" they are time consuming,THEREFORE
become expensive to do I mean take Florin"s Estimate(as an example) 6-7 hours x$25.00=$150-$175 plus cost of a print plus taxes in your area.Total?? $200-$225? How many clients are actually willing to pay this?I think not a lot

I agree with you there it's not about time it's about quality a customer would be willing to wait for longer time and have a good quality photo, I am also amazed how people just slap a high price because of the times they put in their work a business will only last as long as the customer is willing to pay the price.

I don't charge per hour I charge per the quality of my work, if I feel comfortable with a price and feel it's worth my work I charge for that but it will have to suit both myself and my client.

Many people would love to have their photos restored but cannot afford to pay the high price especially with recession at the moment I'd sooner charge an affordable price people would be willing to part recession or not than not having a business at all. It never pays to charge exorbitant price. Everyone wants a bargain IMO as long as that bargain will suit my pocket I will charge it.

The maximum I would charge for a restoration is £70 including a large print.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Florin, I have been a member here for a long time, predominantly a "lurker" that has newly become addicted to the web live tutorials they are doing now - I'm always trying to learn =) I must comment on this job though. Your estimate of 6-7 hours seems to be very close and the quality of the end result shows in the snippit you did in an hour of her eye area. You do not get these kind of results in two hours. I don't care who you are! Anyone who thinks they are going to do that entire image and only spend a couple hours, then have the "estatic" client we all presumably strive to please, are in for a surprise. I myself can easily see spending an entire day on that image to get it to my liking and still not be completely satisfied with my results. Which brings me to an entirely different topic, when to stop? I often find myself going well above and beyond what is expected for clients in order to provide that "wow factor" that keeps them coming back. Bad business? I'm on the fence per se' on that one. Some would say if you aren't getting paid for it, don't do it. Others, like myself who are just starting out and still very passionate about the work they do and always want it to look their best it can, don't mind going the extra mile to ensure a client is enthralled with the results.

Now that I rambled on seemingly an endless amount of time, I would also like to add that you can't go wrong in my personal experience bidding jobs so that you ensure you get enough for them when you inevitably run into problems/things that take longer than expected. It is very difficult to explain to a client after the fact you need to charge more for the job, for some reason retouching is expected to be fast, cheap, and flawless.

I always like to use the quote:

"There are 3 kinds of retouches: Fast, Good, Cheap - choose two." =)

Last edited by FlairDevil; 03-01-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Spell much Billy? lol
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration