Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Partly faded oval photograph

Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Re: Partly faded oval photograph

Go to the channel palatte, click on the channel, select all, copy; now go back to the Layers palette, click on the top layer (or background), then Paste. The image will be grayscale, but just change the blend mode to Luminosity. The goal is to graft the luminosity from a good channel(s) to repair the image. Painting on a layer mask allows to to blend in only the areas which are good. In this image you will need to patch part of the image from the red channel and part from the blue channel. Later you will need to make some color corrections with curves or painting on a color layer.
You could take a number of other approaches to this image. Dodging & burning would work but would take you much longer. A bunch of curves would also work. Ken's method is relatively fast for this image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Murray has suggested setting the blending mode to luminosity, this works equally well but I left the blending mode of the red channel in normal. I prefer to fix the luminosity in B&W first and add the colour back later, but that’s just a personal choice.
As Murray says, there are many ways to fix this/any photo.

Photoshop also gives us many ways to copy the channels to layers; it’s even possible to work on the channels directly as in steps 1a, 1b and 1c here

Another way is with the Channel Mixer (monochrome checked), this is especially useful for mixing channels. More info here

I also found this
A similar problem, however the method used is probably not appropriate for this image.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 AM

I've been asked to do a similar job on a photo of my parents' wedding. As with the other picture, the central area has been badly faded by the sun. I've done the best job I can with the limited tools and knowledge available, but rather than bringing back memories of their special day I seem to have transported them to a nightclub! Any tips for how to bring out the original detail, such as faces without making a mess of everything else? I have access to Photoshop CS4, Paint Shop Pro 7 and iPhoto 11.

You can see my effort and the original scan here:

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2011, 07:48 AM

The problem I see with this image maybe twofold.

First there is so little discernable detail in the faces with the exception of the eyes and also I suspect the original picture is actually out of focus compounding the detail problem.

Secondly the scan is probably fairly low quality.

I would suggest if possible rescan at the highest dpi you are able to get and also in 48bit (16 bit) colour. Adjust the scan histogram prior to saving to maximise the information without clipping either highlight or shadows - no guarantees but it may just help you to get a little more image information that you can work with
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration