Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Faded Image With Nasty Blue Colour Cast

Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Re: Faded Image With Nasty Blue Colour Cast

My husband also retouches and he works on old photos all day long.
He suggested using the hue/saturation adjuster and reducing the saturation on the cyan or blue.
You might have to isolate it with a mask to avoid taking colour from areas you dont want to affect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM

Hi Spotter

Thanks very much for your comments.

I am actually working on them right now, using them on another picture I am having trouble with.

I will try it on this one as well and will report the results back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Sort of intimated,, all you great guys and i learned a lot from you... and i am asking a opinion to help me in my training...

One of the things i learned is always look to do a curve adjustments and look at the channels and one thing i notice, in this image, is that the red channel is very bad.... it almost completely blown out... and then when yo try to adjust it it appears to be extremely noisy and a little distorted....

Now doing a curve adjustment i can see most of the color however....
that bad red channel really tears up everyting.....

Would it be a good idea to replace the red channel with maybe the blue channel and go from there...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM

You have uneven fading of the channels, so no global fix will work. I had moderate success using Select Color Range on the blue area, then filling a layer with the blue color, inverting, setting the blend mode to Color Dodge, and lowering the opacity. This was after making all tonal adjustments to each channel. Whichever technique you use, you'll still end up with some painting to fix it.

Hard to tell from the lowrez jpg, but it appears the scan is far too light. The red channel is clipped. When scanning old photos, always turn off all automatic settings on the scanner and scan so your composite histogram falls to zero on both ends. This won't work with slides or negs, but works fine with prints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 PM

the broad white things around their necks are white. no blue in them. the floor is most likely a whitish with a reflection off the background, thus a bit reddish. the background is wood, therefore reddish/brownish, not white. all that blue is completely not in the original. it's ink or fading or discoloration or whatever but it's not in the original. remove it or cover it over.

you've done well so far. this is a most difficult image. i do hope you have a higher res to work on. this will take a lot of hand work. the fading and exposure is too irregular for much global type treatment. clone and airbrush are your friends here. use each on separate blank layers and dont be afraid to add more blank layers. use the color blend mode on some of them and dont be afraid to undo or erase... a lot! when you have things evened out a bit with clone and airbrush, add another color balance adjustment layer or even a channel mixer to re-tone the overall. you dont have to do this restore all with one action; work towards your goal in increments rather than trying to do it all in one shot. your only hope for some of those faces is a higher res image and even then some may be quite difficult. you might also try increasing the image size just so a few pixels doesnt equal an eye or a nose. it's always better to have many pixels in there for those things.

like i said, you've done well so far, just keep going.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 AM

Hi Doug

Thanks for your comments and for confirming what I thought. I will carry on doing it the hard way.

The image I am working with is much higher resolution at 300ppi but I read somewhere on the forum that I cannot upload images larger than 100kb.

Hi Craig

Thanks also for your comments and advice which are very gratefully received.

The sashes that they are wearing are actually blue (mostly).

I am posting a copy of one we have already done so that you can all see what they should look like.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 04 Compressed 02a.jpg (76.4 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2011, 02:50 AM

Very nice Big Red Bird. Well done.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration