RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Small Wallet Photos

Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Small Wallet Photos

I have three photos that I have scanned. The original photos are small so there is some distortion in the larger scanned versions. The photos have also been kept in a wallet inside a plastic sleeve for some time, so this adds to the anomalies in the image.

I have worked on the first photo. I would like to hear some comments on the final product as to whether it still looks realistic. I am an amateur in photo restoration and this is my second attempt.

I would like to ask for some assistance with the other two photos. I will try work on the second one tomorrow if I have time. I have found that it can be quite time consuming restoring photos.

I hope it is all right to post the links to the photos in a ".txt"? I know it is a bit cumbersome to get the links to the photos that way, but at least I get to post a larger image and I also get a little privacy from the web spiders.
Attached Files
File Type: txt links.txt (180 Bytes, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 PM

Re: Small Wallet Photos

Hi. Cannot see your pics there. Try to upload in mediafire.com, it's fine for free 30 days storage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Patron

Florin, the links are provided as text in a simple text document. If you right click and Save As to your PC when you double click it, it should open in Notepad or any text editor you have. You will then need to copy and paste the links into your browser.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
Hi. Cannot see your pics there. Try to upload in mediafire.com, it's fine for free 30 days storage.
Have you come right Florin? Murray is absolutely correct with regards to needing to open the file in any text editor and copying the links into your browser. I hope that solves your problem, unless it is the image hosting site I chose?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 PM

I have have finished working on the other two photos and made some slight changes to the first photo. I would really appreciate any comments.
Attached Files
File Type: txt links.txt (272 Bytes, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 PM

K, now I have deen the pics, thanks Murray. When I copied/pasted the links from the .txt the browser indicated "blocked account"

0k, you've been using only plgins? Any other technique?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Ah, that account blocked message happens when you are not logged into ImageShack. It is something new they introduced recently. I have now uploaded the pictures to MediaFire as you suggested.

I am not sure what you mean by only using plugins. I used the spot-healing tool and clone tool in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 PM

K. First of all, NEVER scan the pictures together because you are supposed to work each of them individually. Then, they are very small size and a lot of damages. This means that you (or someone else) will need to zoom in a lot. Healing tool is great but in this size (purple chick is 2.8x3.5 cm) will not help too much. If you'll zoom to 100%, you'll see no textures at all, mean no hair, skin, clothes texture, neither the paper texture, just some flat colors and shapes. We need these textures, my friend, they are part of the show That's why I asked if you've been using some plugin, seems to me that some blur filter was applied.
K, now, you'll need to scan again them, one by one at least 1200 dpi. Do it in the manual mode and be sure that your hardware (scanner) does not apply any kind of mask or plugin. I'm saying that because my old Acer does have different modes, natural, magazine, newspaper, sharpened/unsharpened etc. Leave all controls as default. I'd like to help you with some advices about techniques and workflow but with a better original image. Thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my uncle has gone away for the weekend. When I am able to get a hold of the photos, I will scan them like you requested.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Hi Florin. I have scanned the photos in 9600dpi but I resized them to 1920 width since they were too big for me to upload. I hope the images better now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b0f1bxe7cnzmldr
http://www.mediafire.com/?38js4hlk9ukcioz
http://www.mediafire.com/?03w3vaf3uxy4s67
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration