RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Super Faded Photo

Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Re: Super Faded Photo

Hi, I'm new here too. I tried two different methods. First made a curves adjustment, then I rid the photo of the distracting spots and noise by using varying noise reduction on individual channels. This did a pretty good job but left the image very soft, lacking details and I lost some of the tone as well. I tried to bring back some of tone by using a darkened masked levels layer to paint it back in but wasn't happy with the result. So, then I used Tony's method, of using 100% green channel. This was on another layer. I spent a little bit of time cleaning that up using a combination of masked dust and scratches, blur, healing brush, clone and smudge. If I had had the high-res image, I might have just buckled down and started out cleaning up the image. Anywho, I layered the cleaned-up green channel over the noise-reduced layer at varying opacities in normal, multiply and screen. I don't remember what else I did... there was a bit of trial and error. I know I added a number of curves and adjustment layers at different times to bring the tones to where I wanted them. At one point I brought back the traces of the original color to see hwo that looked. I didn't spend terribly long on this, but more than I had planned You can get this photo looking great with a high-res scan and a bit of time. I personally scan in RGB and have better luck playing with the multiple channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachmentEdit1a.jpg (84.2 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2011, 07:14 PM

These are the colors I was able to pull up... I think it would look better hand-painted but this may serve as a point of reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachmentEdit2a.jpg (98.8 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 PM

when doing colorizations, make sure you do a good job of retouching/restoring before going on to the colorizing. every flaw, speck and so on you dont handle with the restore will show up in the colorization.

here's my restore. i took my original, posted above, and did a medium digital camera noise removal in psp and then my normal clone, smudge, airbrush treatment. there was also a curves in there and a hue/sat layer to get the image completely down to a black and white. you may also notice that i cloned the border to remove the black areas and added a white border like the old photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img007-psp-1-k-1g-rp.jpg (189.0 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 AM

i would still like to see a good scan of the original without the red tint:-)
steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 PM

i went ahead and colorized this. this was done over several days and tweaked way too often to tell you what i did. one of the things i had to do with this is to walk away. just work on it till i thought it was better and then leave it alone for a while. one's eyes tend to get sort of clouded over and you lose a fresh look, a fresh objective look. so, ya just walk away and let your eyes sort of forget, then come back to it later on and it's amazing what you can now see that you didnt see before. so, that's my tip of the day... walk away
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img007-psp-1-k-1m-rp.jpg (190.0 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Hi again everyone I just wanted to thank you all for your feedback I have learned quite a bit from just this one post but also from multiple others. I am a little late with this but I wanted to lets those who wanted the b&w scan a chance to get it and also to link to some higher res copies of the image scans. Thank you all again so much!

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6697/img007ze.jpg

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/7829/img012v.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img012s.jpg (78.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 AM

This has been an interesting restore to follow. I think I like Cupcakes' version best. This one you could keep coming back to.

Tori
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 AM

Here is my attempt.... Thank you for posting this photo ... it was a challenge and made me want to work on some of my old photos too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg restored faded photo.jpg (88.4 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM

I saw this and it was too sweet to pass up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (85.1 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration