RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Super Faded Photo

Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM

Red face Super Faded Photo

Hi everyone I am new here and somewhat new to restoring/retouching photos I have done a few faded photos before but this one is for my grandmother and would love some advice on how I can bring the detail back to this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img007.jpg (93.4 KB, 238 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2011, 01:09 AM

Re: Super Faded Photo

all done in paint shop pro:

1. fade correction (full strength)

2. tone mapping (full strength)

3. curves (fairly light)

the spotting now showing is an entirely different matter. you might try the polaroid dust and scratch removal filter for that, though it's probably going to cause the loss of some detail.

as best i can tell, the blown out whites are part of the original and not caused by the process i used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img007-psp-1-k-1rp.jpg (192.3 KB, 176 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Patron

Done in CS5. There is quite a lot of damage (noise) in all the channels but the green channel looked the best to me. So used this as the basis for restore. There is still quite a bit of work that could be done

1. Curves layer adjusted image to get a satisfactory balance.

2. Merged layers (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E - PC) and used Apply Image Green channel Normal 100%

3. Dup layer then tried Dust & Scratches filter (Rad. 2 Thresh. 10). Then added mask to layer and painted on mask around eyes, hair, etc to reduce the blurring.

At this point I think you are ready to start a lot more work to get a nice result. You may even want to add a hand coloured look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Faded-copy.jpg (98.4 KB, 179 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Of course it would be nice to have more to play with but for starters

I would say for this image dont scan in color. You can always add color later.

Scan in grey scale tiff as large as you can get - 48 bit will give you more to work with. Never work in jpeg.

Bump the contrast it will clean up some of the mess from the start - get as much viable image as you can to start with

This is more about working with what you dont have so it may be quicker faster to make the best print you can, hand detail, rescan and blend with the original. Or do multiple scans at different levels and layer in to get the the tonal values you need in the missing areas

Be selective - pick whats important and worth saving - ie correct the composition so you have less to work on

I took out a few of the trouble spots to show you its possible but its going to be a challenge on the freehand drawing side. So get your tools figured out.

You can try dust filters etc but generally speaking the filters will degrade what you have and make a mess of it - royal pita to hand fix but its about the only way you are going to get something that looks close.

Good luck and have fun with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fade_edited_3.jpg (84.5 KB, 131 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 AM

Thank you all for your great advise I have been working with some of your tips and am slowly getting the photo together though I am still not completely satisfied. I did rescan the image in gray scale and adjusted the settings there a bit. Will post my progress soon! I am working in CS4 btw
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Patron

Quote:
... I did rescan the image in gray scale and adjusted the settings there a bit...
Please do not discard the notion of scanning a B&W image as RGB at least until you have proved to your own satisfaction. While there are contradictory views on the net and elsewhere you will only know what is right for you and the images you scan after making tests of a variety of images with your particular scanner.

Some potential (if contentious) benefits:
  • Working with stained and discoloured images is often easier in colour initially
  • Overall tonality, noise and grain can be appreciably different in R, G, B channels. Which gives you the opportunity of selectively reducing any in individual channels. Of course you may find that one channel is sufficient and in the case of your image I found the Green channel to be the best. If you scan in greyscale your scanner may use the green channel! Even if it does you are losing information from the other channels that just may be useful.
  • It may also be true that one channel will give the sharpest result with your particular scanner - until you test you will not know.

Couple of sites that seem to support the idea of RGB rather than Greyscale
http://www.imaging-resource.com/TIPS/LAWLER/CLR2BW.PDF
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/1800F-bw.html

I am not saying that in this particular case that one method is better than another. You can only truly establish this after testing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 PM

You are right for sure about the green channel I also tried making a copy of the red and using it as an overly after a high pass filter to help sharpen the details without intensifying all of the noise. I do think after trying both using the RGB worked best.

It's still not where I would like it but I think I am on the right track >< thank you all again for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monica and jennifer 01.jpg (79.4 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by SierraBella; 05-14-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: progress photo added
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Im not sure if this looks better, but here is my try. I would love to tell you what all i did, but i lost track. I used Photoshop 7.0 and Corel paintshop pro. I did replace the red layer with the green layer and did some color adjustments and then turned it grayscale. and then continued to tweek it. Not sure if i lost some of the quality though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123sm.jpg (40.4 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 AM

So I have been working on the photo on and off today and I think it's nearly finished! There is still some work to be done on the texture of the skin it's a bit spotty. But I am sooo happy with how it has came along. I did lose track of most of what I did >< but I can tell you I used the red and green channels for sharpening the details several times going between passes and cleaning up as I went along. I added a curves adjustment and level adjustment as well as adding the color. Thank again for all the great feedback. You all helped a great deal and it was awesome to see the different results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monica and jennifer 01.jpg (66.9 KB, 128 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM

Here is this picture done in Painter11 & CS5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two-kids.jpg (97.6 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by Cupcake; 05-15-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration