RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Impossible to Restore

Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Re: Impossible to Restore

I agree, trying to restore these photos in the standard approach will not result in something for which the customer would want to pay good money.

There are two options/alternatives that might be worth considering.

1) As crazy as it sounds, since these images were likely taken by some photo service that "could" still be in business. It may be easier tracking down who took the pictures that year and see if they archived the negatives. A long shot yet so is any restoration. Also mentioned in a previous post.

2) Take an alternate approach. If the customer has a picture taken of the individual in a somewhat similar time frame, use that picture along with the best graduation image outline and have a digital painting rendered. That is a lot of work and one needs to hire someone that has good skills here. Yet it could create the "moment" with a very good resemblance if a different reference picture is available.

Just trying to think outside the Photo Restoration Box so to speak to satisfy a customer.

John Wheeler
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Patron

John's approaches make a lot of sense and are likely the only possible solutions here.

In a few seconds I got almost as far as Crapaud on JPEG 4. Even then it's clear there are just too many pixels missing literally everywhere. It's literally a very scattered bunch of tiny dots. There are no solid, contiguous patches of subject matter from which to reconstruct anything. Nor are the remaining dots of information close enough together. It would be a heinous chore to even try, and connecting all those scattered dots would be about impossible without having a reference photo of some kind to go by or personally knowing the subjects for many years, otherwise reconstructing the photos would be mostly guessing what they actually looked like.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 PM

I played a little with this picture, I like the challenge...not exzactly a restore...but here is my shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbejc.jpg (76.9 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 PM

I really like with what both Learnin'Lady and Jesterjenie came up with. In the image below, I ignored the blue channel and optimized between the red and green channel for four separate areas: background, suit, shirt, head. Adjusted tone and used shape blur in each area. No brushes used except for mask creation for those areas. No other touch-up. Really tough images and just wanted to give it a try.

1 Flattened small Version.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration