Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

removing the haze from aerial photos

Old 07-13-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi Becky! Glad to see you here!

Looks like you've gotten great advice.

I just thought I'd add my 2¢ worth too...

I duplicated the background layer and added a layer mask. Then I used the gradient tool on the mask diagonally. I adjusted the levels and color. After that, I selected spots with the lasso tool and blurred the selection with the quick mask and adjusted the contrast and color. To end with, I made a duplicate of the image and changed it to Lab mode and used USM. Then copied that to a new layer on the original image, set to luminosity blending mode, flattened and did a little dodging and burning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haze jak.jpg (86.0 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2002, 02:27 AM
Hi Jeanie, Jack

Thanks for your words!
I finally managed to get Katrin Eismann book on Photoshop! I think she is a genius!!!

I downloaded the 'Polarizer' Filter....sounds great! Thank you very much for the Link!

great work! (as usual )...I think we followed the same procedure: adjustment layers and 'strategically positioned' gradients which I applied not only to light and shadows, but to colours as well....

Last edited by Flora; 07-14-2002 at 02:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2002, 06:40 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone for your help. I will get to work today and try your methods. You have been a great help!.

I am so glad I found this site. I can tell it is going to make my life easier!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2004, 01:21 PM
I have some slides taken from a mountain top on a good day (100+/- miles viability) but they are hazy in the distance. I am planing to try to cut the distance hazy using the techniques outlined in this thread, but I am unable to fined the free polarize action, listed by Jeaniesa, on the digital secrets site.
Has it now been incorporated into another piece of software? Might there be any other freeware polarizer out there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2004, 12:16 AM

Hi Howard,

I had a bunch of these photos coming back from Portugal. Sometimes a simple click on Auto in Levels or Curves did the trick. But if there is a sharp foreground, I had to do what Becky and Flora did (Multiply). Not difficult You get the hang of it quite quickly. At least I did. And since you're working in the Mask, you can just draw the gradient(s) again and again until you get it right. Remember to draw a "short gradient" if you need an abrupt change from foreground to background.

On the enclosed photo I think I had two or three gradients running at different angles, pluss manual mask painting over the trees. It's amazing how you can "save" a photo this way! Just a few minutes per photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100045_before.jpg (25.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg P1100045_after.jpg (42.6 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration