Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Stuck photo to glass

Old 05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Cool Stuck photo to glass

Could someone please tell me a do-it-yourself method to unstick the picture from the glass? The top 1/2 to 2/3rds of the picture is fine but starts sticking on the bottom portion. It is an old color school days picture from somewhere in the late 70's or early 80's. Thanks for any help I can get. I know nothing about pictures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Re: Stuck photo to glass

Here's an earlier thread that might be interesting.

Before trying anything, always make a high-res scan through the glass in case you destroy the original.

Interesting quote from the Sally Jacobs in the thread...
"As an archivist, I make a distinction between the informational value of a photograph (the image it contains) and its artifactual value (the thing itself). Do you find that clients want glass removed because they're attached to the original photograph? Or is this just a necessary step before you can get a decent copy of it? "

Perhaps getting a good scan and restoring that would be the best way to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 PM

I would strongly recommend as mentioned getting a good scan with image in the glass. A good technique is using a camera with copy-stand and lights at 45 degrees to image (to minimize glass reflections) and if needed polarizing filters on the lights and one on the camera to eliminate any reflections.

Depending on where you live there are typically services that can do this for you.

There are many ways to remove images that are stuck to glass yet the one techniuqe the works without damaging the photo, has a lot to do with what is binding it to the glass in the first place. Just guessing wrong on which technique to use has a reasonable chance of damaging the photo where your initial scan (a precaution) ends up being a better starting point for retouching.

All you have to do is fast forward in time to when you remove the photo and imagine it being damaged and ask yourself what you wish you had done before starting that process. Speaking from one who did not always do that initial scan
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Bug, all methods of removal carry a risk of damage to the original potentially making it worse than when stuck to glass e.g. emulsion peeling off backing and left on the glass with the other half of the image still attached to the backing.

To echo the very good advice of the previous posters Make a High Quality backup of the original as it is i.e. stuck to the glass. You can try scanning or using a camera photograph the image first - or do both. If you do not have access to polarisers you can photograph the image at an angle and correct in Photoshop or similar afterwards.

You do not mention what editing software you plan to use or even if this is what you intend other than just removing it.

If the photograph is particularly valuable and as you stated you know nothing about pictures my advice would be take it to a professional restorer
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration