RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

I need Help with this one of me...

Old 06-16-2011, 03:53 AM

I need Help with this one of me...

I have an old torn photo of me at age 6 and I scanned it to the best quality however it is that matted looking photo paper....I basically am working on this one and I am trying to have it come in more clearer or detailed, and I am removing the little boy in the photo....here is the orignal and what I am working on....help...lol ...thank you ...

Cheers~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0005.JPG (95.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 1step.jpg (82.8 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Patron

Re: I need Help with this one of me...

Here's a quick attempt. I used Noiseware Professional on the pattern -- 100% strength on the high frequency noise and 70% on medium frequency. It can be refined with more concentration on highlights, midtones and shadows. Then applied Focus Fixer at a radius of 2 pixels to counteract some of the blurring.

This is far from perfect but, I think, a good start. A high-quality scan (600-1200 ppi) will help as it will make it easier for the filters to distinguish noise from photograph.

Hope this helps.

Curtis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0005.JPG (191.4 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 AM

here is my second attempt....aacckkk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step2.jpg (39.8 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Hi Jaykat
Have you considered scanning at a much higher resolution and then using FFT filter to get rid of the regular Matt pattern that cover the entire print.

FFT will do an excellent job of removing (not just averaging/blurring) highly repeating patterns.

Also, I cannot tell from the scan how much of the noise is from the original print vs how much is from the scanning process itself. If it is from the scanning process, then there are ways to get rid of that noise as well
- Mulitpass scanning; create layer stack, use median layer stack mode will greatly reduce the scanner noise
- Some scanning software can do the above automatically
- Have the scan done with a better scanner

Other than that, both you and Curtis are doing great considering what appears to be a slightly out of focus shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Patron

I agree that if you can scan at a much higher resolution. I can see the obvious signs of a typical diamond pattern from the paper texture. Although this does not look as sharp as it should do - of course it may be the result of your resizing for the forum.
The FFT filter usually makes a good job of this type of pattern removal.

I have had a quick play and I also think it would look much better if you were to add some room at the top (I hate to see heads cut like this!) and do a little work to add some hair. As the image is so small I have not attempted to hide the noise - your original will probably benefit from this though!

Please excuse the sloppy floor work - needs more time to get this looking right. I think if you can get it to this stage then you can spend more time in getting rid of the other blemishes and end up with a nice picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Removal-copy.jpg (99.1 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Attachment 87366Not perfect, but a big improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0005-2.jpg (63.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-19-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: better image
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM

Hey everyone thank you so much for your assistance .... I just checked my scanner it is an HP Photosmart Premium and the ppi from what I can see on it scans 600...it is not hooked up to my computer at this time but I put the photos on a disk....I am wondering if there is a higher scanning ppi with like photoshop or something...I understand what you mean about the scan quality....what programs are you all using?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 PM

not color but I thought i would try a rebuild of what's not there...... just messing around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0005.jpg (95.2 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM

Hi Jaykat
You did not mention that specific HP PhotoSmart Premium printer model number you have yet I would be surprised if it could only scan at that resolution. Other than the supplied driver software from HP (which should include the scanning software) I am not aware of what software would work with that HP all-in-one.

My HP all in one scanning software allows me to pick the scanning resolution and also what file type to store the data (JPEG, TIFF, PDF).

If you can get the image scanned into your computer, most likely you can make any needed adjustments in PS and not worry about any special software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 PM

Thank you so much John.... I am learning so much on this site....it is great....I still have a ways to go...but practice makes perfect hehehe...Everyone is so nice on here and they give you input of what they are doing so it makes it easy to understand. I have been toying around with other photos for practice too...
You all are the best.....thank you again .....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration