RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

noise?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 PM

noise?

well these are I guess in a way, practice images but all I can really ever get are JPEG ones and they tend to be of low quality. My question is, how can I get rid of the noise without sacrificing all the detail of the image? I know it cant be perfect but there has to be a way to get much better results.

thanks

the picture im working on by the way is:

http://www.offthemall.com/SUVCW/Linc...aph%201846.jpg

i got everything cleaned up but that jpeg quality kills it o.O
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Patron

Re: noise?

Can you post an image of your 'cleaned up' version and make it as large as possible (within the forum restraints)?

From your post I am assuming that you are referring to seeing pixelation. If this is correct then it may be due to just the original size of the images you are getting and the fact that you are enlarging too much thereby emphasising the pixels.

While it may be possible to de-emphasize the effect it does, as you have seen tend to result in some loss of detail. This loss may be minimised by starting off with a larger original or it could help to use selective techniques with masks to localise softening to just targeted areas
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM

Even a cheap digi camera will give you sufficient rez to practice your skills. I wouldn't waste time on images where the jpeg tiles are more prominent than the detail. If you must, at least enlarge the file dimensions to s/s or more for the output device.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 AM

http://i52.tinypic.com/27yo9a8.png

i didnt know how big u wanted it so left it
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Patron

The original image is only 424x516 pixels which is pretty small - as Repairman said it may be better to copy using your digital camera. Or if you are pulling these off the net with google search for images then specify large size.

Out of interest made some adjustment to your original to see what could be hidden. First resized image to 400% then slight blur applied with mask to eyes mouth etc. Reduced back down to 25% (to get back original size) the artifacts still visible. Quick try at smoothing them out using Smudge tool then applied a little high amount low radius sharpening - the result IMO poor and probably not worth bothering about particularly as this is a practice peice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abe.jpg (36.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM

it was the largest size one o.O now I have found a little higher quality one but It'll mean I have to start from scratch again as it is not the same image. I can keep my coloring though
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 PM

I googled "old damaged photograph" using the google image search. I then chose "Larger than 2 mp" for the size. A whole bunch of images to practise on, and many already have restored versions on the same links that you can compare yourself to.

Google Image Search (stupidly long link, hopefully it works). XD
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 04:09 PM

oh no its not that i cannot find old photos lol. I can get a TON of high quality ones, it's just I have specific ones I enjoy doing and they just so happen to be harder to find
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration