RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

so grainy

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM

so grainy

Hello everyone,

I have a photo which is extremely grainy I would like to restore and colourize it the grain is so bad, I thought of using Photoshop skin brushes on the face using layer mask or borrow and copy and paste from a clean black and white photos.

What would you folks do to the photos? here is the link below

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart/image/137242500

Thanks

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Patron

Re: so grainy

Helen, with this type of nice you will often have good results with Filter>Noise>Despeckle or Filter>Noise>Dust & Scratches
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 AM

Hi Helen
You can bring TIF and JPG file into Adobe Photoshop ACR in addition to Raw files by just changing the Camera Raw settings under Preferences. Below is your same image going through ACR and in the noise reduction section moving the Luminance Slider to 50 and the Luminance Detail slider to 40. The same panel has sharpening sliders yet did not touch those. It may be worth a try. Here is the image and apologies in advance because I probably should have asked you to use the image:

137242500.Re1EbENB copy.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Thumbs up Re: so grainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Helen, with this type of nice you will often have good results with Filter>Noise>Despeckle or Filter>Noise>Dust & Scratches
Regards, Murray
Thanks for your reply I shall have a go at that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Hi Helen
You can bring TIF and JPG file into Adobe Photoshop ACR in addition to Raw files by just changing the Camera Raw settings under Preferences. Below is your same image going through ACR and in the noise reduction section moving the Luminance Slider to 50 and the Luminance Detail slider to 40. The same panel has sharpening sliders yet did not touch those. It may be worth a try. Here is the image and apologies in advance because I probably should have asked you to use the image:

Attachment 87999
This is great work thank you for helping, sorry to ask a stupid question what is Adobe ACR? I am using Adobe CS5 is Adobe ACR a plug-ins? I haven't got a clue about Camera Raw but willing to learn.

Would you have the edited image in larger size if you haven't it's fine I don't mind? i'm are willing to follow what you've done myself because I have another bad photo similar to the one I posted the link and would like to have a go at repair that also.

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Helen,

To open a .JPG or .TIF file in Camera RAW in CS5 go to "file" then "open as" find your image then go to the bottom of the window, to the drop down list "open as" and select Camera Raw, then play to you hearts content.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
This is great work thank you for helping, sorry to ask a stupid question what is Adobe ACR? I am using Adobe CS5 is Adobe ACR a plug-ins? I haven't got a clue about Camera Raw but willing to learn.

Would you have the edited image in larger size if you haven't it's fine I don't mind? i'm are willing to follow what you've done myself because I have another bad photo similar to the one I posted the link and would like to have a go at repair that also.

helen
ACR = Adobe Camera Raw
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 02:42 AM

Thumbs up Re: so grainy

Thanks Guys for your replies appreciate it.

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Sorry about the delay in responding. I think Britsdad and Boneappetit have most of it covered. Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) sometimes just called Camera Raw by Adobe is built into Photoshop. Historically just for editing incoming Raw files yet as indicated in prior posts or by changing Preferences, you can go right into ACR before Photoshop like a pre-processor. In Preferences, go to the Camera Raw portion. That opens a dialog where at the bottom (CS5) you can choose to enable TIF and/or JPEG files to open in ACR first. I personally like that default setting.

The functionality engine for image modifications in ACR is basically the same as in Lightroom. Very powerful and IMHO much more natural to make modifications for basic images than many of the techniques in Photoshop.

A good starting point is just in the help files. Here is a snapshot of the table of contents of Creative Suite 5 (I bet it is in your help file as well) with an expansion on the Camera Raw section. You can see there is a lot that it covers. Hope you enjoy that added functionality to your tool box.

Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 7.05.34 AM.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Red face Re: so grainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Sorry about the delay in responding. I think Britsdad and Boneappetit have most of it covered. Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) sometimes just called Camera Raw by Adobe is built into Photoshop. Historically just for editing incoming Raw files yet as indicated in prior posts or by changing Preferences, you can go right into ACR before Photoshop like a pre-processor. In Preferences, go to the Camera Raw portion. That opens a dialog where at the bottom (CS5) you can choose to enable TIF and/or JPEG files to open in ACR first. I personally like that default setting.

The functionality engine for image modifications in ACR is basically the same as in Lightroom. Very powerful and IMHO much more natural to make modifications for basic images than many of the techniques in Photoshop.

A good starting point is just in the help files. Here is a snapshot of the table of contents of Creative Suite 5 (I bet it is in your help file as well) with an expansion on the Camera Raw section. You can see there is a lot that it covers. Hope you enjoy that added functionality to your tool box.

Attachment 88009

No problem at all about the delay I appreciate your help did you use Lightroom for the restore? I've downloaded a trial version of Adobe Lightroom I shall have a try with that.

Would you mind if I ask did you use the noise filter within Photoshop I am not sure about the luminance? can you if possible give me in detail of what you've done please your results is very good and I would like to achieve similar I am willing to learn any tips and tricks.

Many thanks

Helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration