RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

1950 twins my mom and her sister need help..

Old 08-30-2011, 02:47 AM

Cool 1950 twins my mom and her sister need help..

Hey everyone .... I am putting together this photo of my mom and her sister.. this is how they slept. I am wanting to put this in a frame because I am working on some twin dolls to go with it. I want to add color and try to make this photo clearer....Help Help....thank you thank you....

Cheers~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0019.JPG (90.3 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 AM

Re: 1950 twins my mom and her sister need help..

Here is one that I worked on .... if anyone has any ideas please feel free to help......please....thank you again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twins.jpg (53.0 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Patron

Hi Jaykat, don't want to sound too critical after all it is your image and you can do as you like but, for my taste I have to say I am not too keen on the colouring you have done. It looks err...'radioactive' the colours much too bright and distracting from what should be the focus of interest the babies.

You did a really good job on the blanket bringing out the butterflys and rings - but too good a job as it does not really look like it belongs.

Do you think the colour choices correct for the period? I would suggest that originally the coverings would probably be pastel shades.

This of course is just my opinion which reflect my taste for this kind of image which is generally to keep close as possible to the period at least as I imagine it may have looked in colour.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM

Hey Tony,
I appreciate your opinion.....I do see what you mean on the colors...Most of the colors are very over powering...I am going to try another one and see if I can make the babies stand out ......Thank you again I hope you check back when I repost an updated lighter color photo... *
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Here are a couple more that I have done...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twinsincolor.jpg (23.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg twinsinblacknwhite.jpg (20.8 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Hi JayKat

Here is a totally different approach to consider. I just took a few minutes so much more care and working with the original would no doubt be a much better result. I used ACR and focused on changing just the tones, then to PS to crop a little and place their names a little different, took out some dust/scratches, converted to duotone from grayscale and applied one of the sepia options. Back to RGB and saved to JPG.

In doing genealogy of pictures of the past, having an old look is not bad at all. Also, having the focus on "The Sisters" is most important and IMHO trying to add elements that focus off the sisters is just a distraction from the key topics. It is already a little difficult with both sisters separated because there are two focus points. I thought having the handwriting (of your grandmother?) would actually help with this.

Just another perspective yet what feels right to you will be the right decision.

SCAN0019-dutone.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 AM

Jaykat, whatever you do with this pic consentrate on producing a good B/W before anything else. It's a nice photo and worthwhile spending a bit of time on, IMO.

My suggestions:

Square up and crop the pic.
Increase the contrast - curves are the only way with a pic this flat, and gives more control than D&B.
I agree with Tony about the garish colours - mute them and the clipart(?) butterflies - hue/sat layer reduce saturation and increase lightness. Maybe your mother can remember what the correct colours were?
Lose the rings, they don't look right.
Alternate the butterflies in a chequerboard pattern - use trransform for the top and bottom squares.
Get rid of the white thing in the bottom/middle.

Here's a quick go at it from the one you've worked on:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twins_suggest.jpg (91.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Crapaud; 09-03-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Got tony's name wrong
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Patron

As John has done and Crapaud suggests make sure you start with a good B&W image before deciding on colour - you may like it better.

I actually prefer the B&W John supplied so I stole it and added a little colour (sorry John hope you don't mind ) just to try and get my ideas across about pastel shades. I did not spend too much time and to be honest not exactly happy about my colour choices (perhaps some research on your part?), but I hope it is a little closer to a 1950's colour image either from colour film or airbrushed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babies.jpg (77.7 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 AM

I don't mind at all Tony and nice job on adding the color BTW.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Hey All,

I appreciate all the feedback and I like that you are all upfront and honest.... I now see what you meant by trying to make the the babies the prime focus and I for some reason kept the focus away from them. Not purposley of course...I thank you all for your imput on this....it helps me focus more on pastel colors.....and the black and white for this photo....you all are awesome....thank you !!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration