RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Getting Rid of Edge Fading

Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM

Getting Rid of Edge Fading

Please see the link below. I am having trouble blending the line around the edge and making the yellow part blue. I have tried the clone tool but it is not working for me. Any suggestions?

Let me know if this is not the right way to post a photo. Tried to upload it but it said I needed some code?

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/...=1321130693837
Thanks!
Kathy

Last edited by kea7721; 11-12-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Patron

Re: Getting Rid of Edge Fading

kea7721, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun, utilize the search button above this thread and the tutorial section!

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads:
(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere ( as you did here ) and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).

It will help if you let us know what photo editing software you are using.

painting on a new Color layer with the appropriate color seems to work on this picture then some other minor adjustments.... patch tool, levels adjustments, sharpening etc..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1-1.jpg (195.5 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Smile Re: Getting Rid of Edge Fading

That looks great, 0lBaldy! Would you be so kind as to tell me the steps you used to do that? I am trying to learn. I use Photoshop CS5 and also Photoshop Elements 6.

Thanks for the help on how to attach the image.

Kathy

Last edited by kea7721; 11-13-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Patron

Kathy, here is a basic version of what I did:

Ctrl+J (Layer via Copy.. to copy background layer so as not to inadvertently change it)

Shft+Ctrl+N (New Layer) change mode to 'Color'

eyedropper tool ( select a background color )
paint carefully around subject and paint entire background (use Shft+E to change to Eraser tool to correct overpainting... then Shft+B to change back to the Paint Brush to fill-in/paint things like the little holes in the crown)

eyedropper tool ( select a dress color )
paint dress

Shft+Ctrl+Alt+E (combine all into a new layer)
Ctrl+J (Layer via Copy)
Shft+Ctrl+U (Desaturate)
@ bottom of layers menu hold down Alt key and press the mask icon (square w/circle in it) (a black rectangle should show up beside the layer icon)
paint with white on the shadows to take the color out of them ( Gaussian blur to blend.... then adjust opacity if needed)

Clean blemishes using the patch tool or spot healing brush (Use Shft+Ctrl+F after each use to fade adjustment and blend better)

@ bottom of layers menu hold down Alt key and click and hold down on the half black/half white circle... while holding down ..select Curves (curves adjustment ... check the box 'Use Previous Layer To Create Clipping Mask' .. click 'OK' ) click and drag on the diagonal line in different areas and adjust for a pleasing picture that 'POPS'

Filter>Sharpen>Smart Sharpen (adjust to your liking)

This might be a roundabout way to work on this picture but I'm considering it as a learning experiance..

There are many different ways to accomplish the same effects in Photoshop... (like using a Mask instead of the 'Eraser')

Practice Cubed using the different tools and find the methods that you are comfortable with that accomplish what you are striving for...

Hope this helps...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Wow, that's a lot! Thank you so much!!! So generous of you to take you time to help me. I've got a lot of practicing to do. How long have you been doing this and how did you learn? Are you doing this for a hobby or making money?

Kathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Patron

Kathy, I am just a Photoshop hobbiest... I do have an extensive photographic background from back in the film days of the 50s and 60s ... discovered Photoshop in 2005 and was blown away how easy it was to manipulate photos compared to working in the darkroom and got hooked immediately.. In 2007 I started out just as you by signing up @ RetouchPRO.... reading and trying to learn all I could by visiting all the different forums here... and Practicing Cubed..... Now I have a "Photoshop Addiction" ... I would say that I am self taught... but most everything I have learned about Photoshop is by reading and trying all the things mentioned within the forums here at RetouchPRO.. The RetouchPRO members have been excellent mentors and deserve all the credit for the little that I have learned thus far... the Tutorial section is great for learning.. the Challenges area offers many pictures to practice on and the members here have been very friendly, helpful and have offered solutions to most if not all problems encountered in the manipulation of pictures...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 PM

I think I have "Photoshop Addiction", too. I love working in it, but when I do, nothing else gets done. Every time I stay up all night or find myself still in my robe at 5:00 in the afternoon, I decide to never touch it again. Then I get back into it a few days later. I started back in 2007 also, but there has been a lot of times I didn't touch it for months. I stated with Photoshop Elements. Then I took a class in it this fall and bought Photoshop CS5 and my interest has been renewed. I love working on all the old family photos. I keep thinking I would like to do this for the public and make some money, but I still have so much to learn I wonder if I will ever be good enough. The more I learn, the more I see I need to learn. This website is great and I recently signed up for a monthly subscription to Lynda.com. It's just a matter of repetition for me. I barely understand all the steps you explained above. But I plan on keeping this page bookmarked and come back to it as I learn. You made the picture look really good. Now I have to duplicate it. Thank you again for your help. I know I will learn a lot from you on this forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM

if Flora was here she'd probably make a selection of the faded area and then do a channel mixer or color balance to match it up to the rest of the image and then go from there.

but, ol baldy's method seems to work quite well, too
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration