RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Book help

Old 12-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Book help

Hello there, I'm not quite sure where this would go, but if it's in the wrong place in the forums I apologize in advance.

I am looking for any books in photo restoration that might of been of help to anyone else that they could recommend?

I have seen a few books that might be useful on Amazon but I thought before I purchase anything, I would ask on here first.

Thanks in advance

Hope everyone has had a nice Christmas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Re: Book help

To be honest with you, you don't need to buy anything, here at Retouch pro, you can find & learn all the information regarding photo restoration, but if you want to buy a book, first we need to know what kind of software you use for restoration?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Hi Vco and welcome to the forums (noticed you joined recently)

From your profile it indicates you use Photoshop so I will give a few books for references. Do note that there is a difference though quite a bit of overlap between restoration (e.g. old damaged photos) and retouching (e.g. making an undamaged photo look better). I know that is an oversimplification of the definitions yet the recommendations may hit the mark better if you clarified in which focus you have interest (or both).

For restoration a classic is Photoshop Restoration & Retouching by Katrin Eismann: http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Restoration-Retouching-3rd/dp/0321316274/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324953508&sr=8-1

Another classic by Katrin is Photoshop Masking & Compositing. Masking is important to know for most uses of Photoshop and Compositing for when you want to combine multiple images (even if just a different background): http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Masking-Compositing-Katrin-Eismann/dp/0735712794/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324953508&sr=8-3

Both of Katrin's books were published 5 and 7 years ago respectively yet all the basics still apply.

For a retouching guide for Face and Body one that I have enjoyed is Bodyshop:The Photoshop Retouching Guide for the Face and Body http://www.amazon.com/Bodyshop-Photoshop-Retouching-Guide-Face/dp/0470624388/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324953800&sr=1-1

Another in the same vein as retouching is Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop Scott Kelby. I have not purchased or reviewed this book yet have heard others give good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Retouching-Techniques-Photographers-Photoshop/dp/0321725549/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324954218&sr=1-1

Just keep in mind that a lot depends on how you like to learn. If you learn by books great, if you like video tutorials you can get those online including right here on ReTouchPro, lynda.com or kelbytraining.com. If you go the book direction, if you can minimally review the table of contents online or even better see the book at the bookstore then you will better know what you are getting.

Note that there is not substitute for building up your skills by doing restoration or retouching. Best wishes in your endeavors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Thankyou for taking the time to write this John, it has been a massive help & thankyou for the welcome!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Patron

Johns first two by Katrin Eisman I think are a must reference for photo restoration (I have not seen the others). I would also suggest Digital Restoration from Start to finish by Ctein. This book compliments the Katrin Eisman books IMO as it concentrates more heavily on the physical damages you may encounter with some very good techniques
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 PM

Thankyou Tony, I will look into that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 AM

Tony, thanks for the pointer on Ctein's book. Picked it up and I see what you mean. Very practical info with step by steps on real damaged photos that you see all the time. Already have picked up some techniques from scanning the book. Will have to find the time to read through all of it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration