RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Is this beyond repair?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Is this beyond repair?

This is a rough scan -- I know. First and foremost it needs to be removed from the frame and rescanned (I am in the process of getting the original and scanning it myself). It was emailed to me by someone with the hopes that I could repair it. I am trained in photo restoration, but I do not consider myself an expert -- there is definitely still room for more knowledge. Well, when I was given this photo, I was totally intimidated. Aside from the color, it's very blotchy. My typical and main approaches to restoration are adjusting levels, curves, and repairing with the stamp tool. I would be stamping for days with this picture. While I wait to get the original unframed photo, I figured I'd pick your brains. Can anyone guide me on the best approach/tools to repair this mess?? Thank you in advance!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...ouch/photo.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Patron

Re: Is this beyond repair?

This image IMO is not actually a scan but a photograph taken possibly with a compact camera with built in flash. From the look of it I would say that it is in pretty good condition.

So when you get the original you may not have the problems that you think are apparent at this stage.
Obviously the first thing is to get the very best scan that you can from the print.

To do this you should scan the original aiming for a larger size than you will envisage printing and also scan as 48 bit (16 bit per channel colour) and at a high ppi probably no less than 600 and possibly 1200 ppi. Save the image as a tiff file. This way you will be recording as much information as you can which should help to make the restoration easier to handle
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM

It will be a nice picture when you are done.
This is what I did, with a few touch ups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lady.jpg (99.5 KB, 119 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Looks great, Cupcake -- thanks for the inspiration! What methods did you use? I appreciate the end result, as it answers my initial question ("is this beyond my repair"), but I'd like to learn how you got there.

And Tony, I definitely agree that this is not a scan and I hope you are right in predicting that the original will be in better condition. You have a good point, as I'm certain the camera flash did nothing to improve the photo's appearance. Thanks for bringing that to my attention

Again, thank you both.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Patron

Tinkerbella197, I hope that you can get a good quality scan of this and only then will you be able to assess the amount of work required.

It is likely that there is uneven fading of the photographic dyes plus the physical damage. If you are going to restore in colour you will have some additional work to undertake, B&W will be easier so I guess it depends on what the owner wants

Quick play with your image reveals some of the issues you will need to address - no point in going any further until you have your proper scan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColourImage.jpg (93.5 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Tony W; 01-04-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Yes, unfortunately she wants it restored in color. I tried to nudge her in the direction of B&W, to make my life easier, but no such luck. As soon as I get the original, I will scan and post it. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbella197 View Post
Yes, unfortunately she wants it restored in color. I tried to nudge her in the direction of B&W, to make my life easier, but no such luck. As soon as I get the original, I will scan and post it. Thanks again!

Make sure you use a very good scan and scan the photo in colour even though it is black and white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Patron

The original is I believe colour sergio2263
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbella197 View Post
This is a rough scan -- I know. First and foremost it needs to be removed from the frame and rescanned (I am in the process of getting the original and scanning it myself). It was emailed to me by someone with the hopes that I could repair it. I am trained in photo restoration, but I do not consider myself an expert -- there is definitely still room for more knowledge. Well, when I was given this photo, I was totally intimidated. Aside from the color, it's very blotchy. My typical and main approaches to restoration are adjusting levels, curves, and repairing with the stamp tool. I would be stamping for days with this picture. While I wait to get the original unframed photo, I figured I'd pick your brains. Can anyone guide me on the best approach/tools to repair this mess?? Thank you in advance!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...ouch/photo.jpg
This photo is not beyond repair at all as a restorer I am surprise you think that though you did mentioned you are not an expert I am not either but this photo is very easily restored that said as long as you use a good scanner or scan the photo in the best possible way it should be restored easily.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
The original is I believe colour sergio2263
Do you mean the original is in colour?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration