Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM

B&W colorized

Some good work here, colorized old black&white photo gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/wapUe
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Patron

Re: B&W colorized

Some very good work indeed, nice find. It would be interesting to know which versions others prefer.

I find myself split on which versions I prefer but taking just the first four.

Abraham Lincoln - Just feels wrong in colour. Also a pity that the B&W left without having basic retouching done
Albert Einstein - Prefer the colour version and 3d look this seems to give
Ann Frank - For me the B&W - a sad reminder which does not benefit from colour
Alfred Hitchcock - I like both and cannot decide
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM

Yes very good work but I found myself confused because the colourizes are not consistent the burning monk is questionable because of the fire whether this was already a colour photo. I sort of have a guess how the colour has been applied some of the colourised looks professional some not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Some very good work indeed, nice find. It would be interesting to know which versions others prefer.

I find myself split on which versions I prefer but taking just the first four.

Abraham Lincoln - Just feels wrong in colour. Also a pity that the B&W left without having basic retouching done
Albert Einstein - Prefer the colour version and 3d look this seems to give
Ann Frank - For me the B&W - a sad reminder which does not benefit from colour
Alfred Hitchcock - I like both and cannot decide
Ann Frank it all depend how you would apply the colour the skin are all one colour which skin flesh are not.

I am not too keen on the Churchill colourised the larger sample his skin is all in one colour which I am not a great lover of. Caucasian skin flesh are pink or dark pink a lot of people seems to have the problem of colourising them to copper colour, dark brown or brown even.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 PM

These were done by mygrapefruit on reddit.com. He uses a brush set to color to paint in the same layer as the original. The results however are very pleasing and better than I could using the same technique (before going nuts).

He helped a lot of people with their colorizing requests in "/r/picrequests" for free. Nice talented dude. Not a professional (jet).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyShop View Post
These were done by mygrapefruit on reddit.com. He uses a brush set to color to paint in the same layer as the original. The results however are very pleasing and better than I could using the same technique (before going nuts).

He helped a lot of people with their colorizing requests in "/r/picrequests" for free. Nice talented dude. Not a professional (jet).
I am not sure about the same layer a sample here
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
I am not sure about the same layer a sample here
I've checked the link I'm not sure about same layer also. Skins need to be colourised properly Caucasian has lovely white, pink or creamy complexions with a bit of red, green, blue or yellows even the colourised I see some of the their skins are the same colour as their hair. Faces has different colours on them hence! the RGB colour.

check the links below to see what I mean.

http://www.innographx.com/forum/down...7029&mode=view.

http://www.innographx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1281
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
Ann Frank it all depend how you would apply the colour the skin are all one colour which skin flesh are not.
Absolutely agree and in this case I do not think the colour well done at all. My thoughts on this one is that somehow due to the circumstances that the B&W is more powerful and poignant reminder of history - at least to me.

Quote:
I am not too keen on the Churchill colourised the larger sample his skin is all in one colour which I am not a great lover of. Caucasian skin flesh are pink or dark pink a lot of people seems to have the problem of colourising them to copper colour, dark brown or brown even.
I see what you mean I guess that it is not too bad but again for me the B&W is the more powerful image.

Nice links you posted showing skin tones, funny thing is that I think most retouchers would want to remove the 'blemishes' in the face scan to get closer to the arm scan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Absolutely agree and in this case I do not think the colour well done at all. My thoughts on this one is that somehow due to the circumstances that the B&W is more powerful and poignant reminder of history - at least to me.

I see what you mean I guess that it is not too bad but again for me the B&W is the more powerful image.

Nice links you posted showing skin tones, funny thing is that I think most retouchers would want to remove the 'blemishes' in the face scan to get closer to the arm scan
I've done a quick colourised example mine is the far right as you can see colour need to be apply with care. I am not saying my way of colourising is the way to go but for me I like to achieve as true colour as I can get or how the skin colour should look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1472188...n/photostream/

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2012, 06:10 AM
Patron

You have certainly done a much better job with your version than the original coloured one and it is believable now as an old colour photograph.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration