RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

murky picture....how do you fix it?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
jesterjeni jesterjeni is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: indiana
Posts: 186
murky picture....how do you fix it?

I aquired this picture as a practice piece..I have been able to isolate the blue channel but not sure what to do next?? I have several books I have been using to try to figure this out...but im stuck....I know that there are some great proffesionals here that could maybe walk me through it???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gh.JPG (78.6 KB, 157 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjeni View Post
I aquired this picture as a practice piece..I have been able to isolate the blue channel but not sure what to do next?? I have several books I have been using to try to figure this out...but im stuck....I know that there are some great proffesionals here that could maybe walk me through it???
What book are you using for restoration katrin eismann's tutorials are good for starters, step back and look at the whole picture before you start to do anything concentrate on the piece that is important the dress can be replace but make sure you keep the belt, clone tools, patch tools, that should do the trick then post your work for critics.

hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM
jesterjeni jesterjeni is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: indiana
Posts: 186
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

I am using photoshop cs3 for photographers and photoshop cs4 channels and masks, I am also using proffessional portrait retouching techniques for photofraphers by scott kelby I have not been able to purchase the katrin eisman books yet but they are on my list

I am just having troble making it look like a believable portrait. I have tryed using the blue channel as a luminosity layer but then the colors are dramatically off. If I use any kind of blur it looks wrong. I have some old family pictures that had been ruined with dish soap, if I can figure this out perhaps I could fix the others I have.

I have tryed coloring it manually to accent what is there, I have tryed the other channels ...I have tried smugging , cloning , patching- layering .....and now posting for HELP!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrkingweb2.jpg (28.7 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjeni View Post
I am using photoshop cs3 for photographers and photoshop cs4 channels and masks, I am also using proffessional portrait retouching techniques for photofraphers by scott kelby I have not been able to purchase the katrin eisman books yet but they are on my list

I am just having troble making it look like a believable portrait. I have tryed using the blue channel as a luminosity layer but then the colors are dramatically off. If I use any kind of blur it looks wrong. I have some old family pictures that had been ruined with dish soap, if I can figure this out perhaps I could fix the others I have.

I have tryed coloring it manually to accent what is there, I have tryed the other channels ...I have tried smugging , cloning , patching- layering .....and now posting for HELP!!!
You need to concentrate on photo restoration tutorials only photo retouching will not help you restore this photo there are tons of tips and tricks and restoration tutorials in this very forum also search the web you'll be able to salvage your photo
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
jesterjeni jesterjeni is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: indiana
Posts: 186
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

I have no clue wich tutorials would help, do you have any specific ones in mind?
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM
0lBaldy's Avatar
0lBaldy 0lBaldy is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,580
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

Looking good thus far... with the great work you have done thus far, I am looking forward to seeing your final version and the finished project..

I know of no tutorials but I think for this picture you may have to develop the painting skills as exhibited by our fellow RetouchPRO member 'Florin'... If you are not familiar with his work, some samples are on his site @ retouchyourpics and within this Forum

You might PM him or use his contact info
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 01-28-2012, 01:09 PM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjeni View Post
I have no clue wich tutorials would help, do you have any specific ones in mind?

Katrin eismann is very good restoring tutorials to start with she has dvd or books you can purchase just google her name you will see her tutorials.
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 PM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Looking good thus far... with the great work you have done thus far, I am looking forward to seeing your final version and the finished project..

I know of no tutorials but I think for this picture you may have to develop the painting skills as exhibited by our fellow RetouchPRO member 'Florin'... If you are not familiar with his work, some samples are on his site @ retouchyourpics and within this Forum

You might PM him or use his contact info
The painting to restore is very good but one need to be aware especially if it's a client photo that they are aware the end results will look more like a painting rather than just restoring the photo because painting and restoring are two different things. There has been a debate about the two differences in this forum somewhere.
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM
DonkeyShop DonkeyShop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

For me there is a clear line between a restoration and an artists impression of a severely damaged picture: if a restoration doesn't look like a real photograph anymore it's an impression. Regardless of how it has been manipulated.

If I were asked to restore this picture I would tell them it can't be restored but I could give a link to a good digital painter.
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyShop View Post
For me there is a clear line between a restoration and an artists impression of a severely damaged picture: if a restoration doesn't look like a real photograph anymore it's an impression. Regardless of how it has been manipulated.

If I were asked to restore this picture I would tell them it can't be restored but I could give a link to a good digital painter.
I agree with you also I must say Florin's work is very good and I believe it's a clever way to restored very damaged photos that is if you can digital paint photos as well but again one must think of the changes from how the photos would look from the original.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help to Fix closed eyes skajay Photo Retouching 10 01-03-2012 08:55 AM
Stupid keyboard shortcut fix needed Siciliana Photo Retouching 5 11-04-2011 09:00 AM
A Quick Skin Fix Walkthrough Wyk Photo Retouching 4 10-05-2011 11:34 AM
What can i improve on this picture ? :-) Louise612 Critiques 1 08-07-2011 04:43 PM
What's the longest you spent on a picture? justarookie Photo Retouching 3 02-06-2011 11:50 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved