RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

murky picture....how do you fix it?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM

murky picture....how do you fix it?

I aquired this picture as a practice piece..I have been able to isolate the blue channel but not sure what to do next?? I have several books I have been using to try to figure this out...but im stuck....I know that there are some great proffesionals here that could maybe walk me through it???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gh.JPG (78.6 KB, 157 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 AM

Re: murky picture....how do you fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjeni View Post
I aquired this picture as a practice piece..I have been able to isolate the blue channel but not sure what to do next?? I have several books I have been using to try to figure this out...but im stuck....I know that there are some great proffesionals here that could maybe walk me through it???
What book are you using for restoration katrin eismann's tutorials are good for starters, step back and look at the whole picture before you start to do anything concentrate on the piece that is important the dress can be replace but make sure you keep the belt, clone tools, patch tools, that should do the trick then post your work for critics.

hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM

I am using photoshop cs3 for photographers and photoshop cs4 channels and masks, I am also using proffessional portrait retouching techniques for photofraphers by scott kelby I have not been able to purchase the katrin eisman books yet but they are on my list

I am just having troble making it look like a believable portrait. I have tryed using the blue channel as a luminosity layer but then the colors are dramatically off. If I use any kind of blur it looks wrong. I have some old family pictures that had been ruined with dish soap, if I can figure this out perhaps I could fix the others I have.

I have tryed coloring it manually to accent what is there, I have tryed the other channels ...I have tried smugging , cloning , patching- layering .....and now posting for HELP!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrkingweb2.jpg (28.7 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I am using photoshop cs3 for photographers and photoshop cs4 channels and masks, I am also using proffessional portrait retouching techniques for photofraphers by scott kelby I have not been able to purchase the katrin eisman books yet but they are on my list

I am just having troble making it look like a believable portrait. I have tryed using the blue channel as a luminosity layer but then the colors are dramatically off. If I use any kind of blur it looks wrong. I have some old family pictures that had been ruined with dish soap, if I can figure this out perhaps I could fix the others I have.

I have tryed coloring it manually to accent what is there, I have tryed the other channels ...I have tried smugging , cloning , patching- layering .....and now posting for HELP!!!
You need to concentrate on photo restoration tutorials only photo retouching will not help you restore this photo there are tons of tips and tricks and restoration tutorials in this very forum also search the web you'll be able to salvage your photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM

I have no clue wich tutorials would help, do you have any specific ones in mind?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Patron

Looking good thus far... with the great work you have done thus far, I am looking forward to seeing your final version and the finished project..

I know of no tutorials but I think for this picture you may have to develop the painting skills as exhibited by our fellow RetouchPRO member 'Florin'... If you are not familiar with his work, some samples are on his site @ retouchyourpics and within this Forum

You might PM him or use his contact info
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I have no clue wich tutorials would help, do you have any specific ones in mind?

Katrin eismann is very good restoring tutorials to start with she has dvd or books you can purchase just google her name you will see her tutorials.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Looking good thus far... with the great work you have done thus far, I am looking forward to seeing your final version and the finished project..

I know of no tutorials but I think for this picture you may have to develop the painting skills as exhibited by our fellow RetouchPRO member 'Florin'... If you are not familiar with his work, some samples are on his site @ retouchyourpics and within this Forum

You might PM him or use his contact info
The painting to restore is very good but one need to be aware especially if it's a client photo that they are aware the end results will look more like a painting rather than just restoring the photo because painting and restoring are two different things. There has been a debate about the two differences in this forum somewhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM

For me there is a clear line between a restoration and an artists impression of a severely damaged picture: if a restoration doesn't look like a real photograph anymore it's an impression. Regardless of how it has been manipulated.

If I were asked to restore this picture I would tell them it can't be restored but I could give a link to a good digital painter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyShop View Post
For me there is a clear line between a restoration and an artists impression of a severely damaged picture: if a restoration doesn't look like a real photograph anymore it's an impression. Regardless of how it has been manipulated.

If I were asked to restore this picture I would tell them it can't be restored but I could give a link to a good digital painter.
I agree with you also I must say Florin's work is very good and I believe it's a clever way to restored very damaged photos that is if you can digital paint photos as well but again one must think of the changes from how the photos would look from the original.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration