RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

A Million Cracks!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Re: A Million Cracks!

I have a picture of my grandfather from the 20's that looks very similar in terms of cracks. However, the "180 flip method" may be a problem because my photo is round....about the size of a silver dollar. So getting it to flip at precisely 180 degrees would be tough. Although I suppose I can try several scans and turn it ever-so-slightly each time. One of them would have to match up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog View Post
I have a picture of my grandfather from the 20's that looks very similar in terms of cracks. However, the "180 flip method" may be a problem because my photo is round....about the size of a silver dollar. So getting it to flip at precisely 180 degrees would be tough. Although I suppose I can try several scans and turn it ever-so-slightly each time. One of them would have to match up.
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

Scan once as normal, then try a 180 degree flip and another scan (ensure straight scan edges etc.).
Drag the second scan image into the first scan image
Change top layer to difference mode
Use free transform to flip top layer 180 degrees and
Push, prod and rotate until the image goes black (it is now registered/lined up with the first scan), hit enter to keep transformation of transform
When aligned perfectly... change the layer mode from difference to lighten or darken mode, depending on the artifacts.
Combine/merge/flatten into one image/layer

* Another approach is to try a second scan that is 90 degrees offset to the original scan, then rotate that back and align and blend as above.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
For a quick start you might try using the Polaroid (free) dust and scratch filter
I would use the 'light' setting first then combine all... copy the new layer and use again with the 'light' box unchecked
This is great great restoration I shall have a try also. ok I've had a try with the polaroid but did not get as good results as your would you mind if I ask what setting you've used with the polaroid.

Many thanks

helen

Last edited by sergio2263; 03-30-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Maybe you could try lightly drawing axis marks across the back of the round photo, and aligning them with marks drawn on the scanner glass with a grease pencil (stabillo).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 PM

Thumbs up Re: A Million Cracks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

Scan once as normal, then try a 180 degree flip and another scan (ensure straight scan edges etc.).
Drag the second scan image into the first scan image
Change top layer to difference mode
Use free transform to flip top layer 180 degrees and
Push, prod and rotate until the image goes black (it is now registered/lined up with the first scan), hit enter to keep transformation of transform
When aligned perfectly... change the layer mode from difference to lighten or darken mode, depending on the artifacts.
Combine/merge/flatten into one image/layer

* Another approach is to try a second scan that is 90 degrees offset to the original scan, then rotate that back and align and blend as above.
This is a Time saver of a tip, Tried it today on a scan I did recently and its a great improvement.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration