Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Paint Shop Pro X4 and FFT

Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Paint Shop Pro X4 and FFT

Hello, this is the first time I'm here. Found this while googling a solution to get rid of honey comb paper textures on an old family photo. I have this photo of my grandpa and aunt taken in the 1940s that I would like to restore. I installed the FFT filter to my Paint Shop Pro X4. I then attempted to run the filter thru PSP. However, it did not execute until I changed the photo file size to about 200K. Original file size is a little less than 7 MB. The filter worked only when I was using a very small file...I am using an HP laptop with 4 GB RAM, running on Vista. Is my hardware too old? I had no other apps running & I'm still unable to run the filter until I significantly downsized the file to the point of losing details..Are there things that I have overlooked?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Re: Paint Shop Pro X4 and FFT

strange, i have no experience of using paint shop pro, but your your hardware should be more than enough!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Momsie, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

IF you can't get the FFT filter working in PSP (which I know nothing about) then there is an alternative using a FREE program called 'Image Analyzer' Downloadable HERE

File>Open (your picture)
Operations>Filters>Frequency Domain Filter
Adjust Pen Size and View Scale to (paint out light stars/spots... change pen size to just cover spots, use the View Scale to find more spots)... when finished click OK.. save image... load into PSP to finish any other repairs..

before sample

After Sample

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 03-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Thank you very much for the comments. I have noticed that my Windows Task Manager is showing the Physical Memory stalling at approx 68%~ 69%, & the CPU Usage is maxing out to ~52%. Both numbers won't go higher when I'm attempting to use the FFT filter thru Paint Shop Pro X4. The FFT will work only one way, after I painted out those stars & do the IFFT, it gives me a white blank image.

Thank you so much for the link to the Image Analyzer and the detailed directions. I have installed it to try, will report results as soon as I play with it later. ^^
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration