RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Rare photo of my mother - Mid 1920s; Impossible?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 AM

Re: Rare photo of my mother - Mid 1920s; Impossibl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliz View Post
I scanned this in grayscale at 600 pixels/inch Resolution, 8 bits, almost 6 X 9 size. It was scanned about fifteen years ago and I've lost the original. I don't know if scanning at 16 bit in RBG at a higher resolution would have helped, but it is too late now.

I've tried "equalize," "Levels", "Curves"; set a duplicate layer to blend mode "overlay,"and can't seem to get a contrast I like. Haven't even started to work on the layer of dust. I have a copy of an attempt I made several years ago and no longer remember what I did. The features came out better but there was an impossible amount of halos around the figures. It is a throw away.

I know the original scan can be improved but am not sure what to do after increasing the contrast with the steps I mentioned above. I can't seem to get enough contrast. I'm rusty when it comes to using curves so maybe that is the problem. The histogram in Photoshop doesn't look too terrible other than some loss of detail in the black areas.

Dust and Scratches makes it too blurry before it does much good. It will be difficult to find unspotted areas to use as a start with the spot healing brush, but I must have used the healing brush on it in an earlier version of Photoshop. It would help if I could remove the smaller dust and use the spot healing and healing brush on the rest. I vaguely remember a tutorial about using dust and scratches on a layer and the history brush set to light or dark, but can't find it now. Also I wonder if the old Polaroid Dust & Scratches filter would work with Windows 7 Pro and Photoshop 5? Many of my old plugins don't work.

I downsized it with Perfect Resize 7 to fit the forum requirements and uploaded a large size on my webspace. I also uploaded the old retouch so you can see what I mean by it being a loss. If I could remember what I did you may have been able to redirect me, but it does show that the features can be improved some. If only I could remember how I got that far.

I will need to do some major restoration work on the mouth/ nose of my mother's little sister. I'm hoping for advice on improving the contrast. I didn't upload what I did recently because it is only slightly improved, not what I want. Also I need somehow to get rid of as much dust as possible without losing the features. What workflow would you suggest: start with improving the contrast and then move to the dust? I am willing to take the time necessary to do the best restoration possible.

I would love to see any work you might like to try on the large file but also want to try the steps you took, not just enjoy your work. I've done some restoration, even a badly chewed up (puppy got it) for a friend. But this is an example of one of the worst in my collection. And it's been a few years since I've done much in Photoshop, though I do have version 5. If anyone wants to download the large file, please tell me how to make that possible.

Hope I haven't made this post too long. I guess in a word: "Help!" All advice appreciated.

Server link for larger file: http://webpages.charter.net/33bells/...TORE-large.jpg

Server link for old retouch: http://webpages.charter.net/33bells/...OldRetouch.jpg
Hi,

I have 9 years experiences in photo Restoration & editing. im full time working at home. so you have any type of work regarding Photoshop please contact me.& i will do this work very low price. so I hope you give me a replay of this mail

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM

I had to try. it is my first,
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...1&d=1356650283
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vingramp-RESTORE-large thumb.jpg (24.8 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 PM

Hi,

Can you send me your mail ID in my mail. so i will contact you & send you done image. my mail ID is ngajjar30@gmail.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 AM

It is very challenging, but I am happy so far with it. I will continue working on it. Did not know how to attach a file, so have left it in a link. I hope that is o.k.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 AM

I took the scan of the photo( I assume it was) into Adobe Raw where I worked in 16 bit, made 3 Raw conversions that I fitted together in PS with masks to get a better starting point. As already said above it is impossible to say all that was done. Basicly over a lot of layers sharpening and blurring, masking out, curves, exsposure, smudging, adding black or white, always making a new stamp version and repeating all of the above. This is more of a reconstruction than restoration.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2013, 03:53 PM

saw this photo and wanted to try..but I think it is reallllly hard to do..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vingramp-RESTORE-large-marliz2B.jpg (96.0 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration