RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help and Advice Needed on this photo

Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 AM

Help and Advice Needed on this photo

Hi I need some help on this photo... I am not an expert by any means -- and my weakness is getting rid of grain and then somehow bringing back detail without bringing back the grain.

I know there are other areas to address such as the staining in her dress and the background... the corners etc... but my issues right now are the following:

If you look at the skirt area of her dress you can see a definite line where its darker on the bottom compared to the top - I am not sure how to deal with and hoping for some advice and / or a description of the steps I should take to fix this.

Because this was an oval I have tried to reconstruct corners (Fill / Content aware) so its a rectangle - I know that the corners still need more work... I just wanted to upload what I have so far and ask how I fix / get rid of that distinct line in her dress area... and ask for advice on what else should be done... did I bring too much contrast back? As you can see it was a very faded photo.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Because I do not think I can make the bottom corners "perfect" per say... what advice do you have for me... maybe a vignette?

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RestoreBefore.jpg (97.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg RestoreAfter.jpg (98.1 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM

Re: Help and Advice Needed on this photo

Here is another idea.
Healing brush set to lighter on the darker line.
Then make a new layer fill with 50% gray. Then set layer to soft light.
Paint the darker area with the dodge tool, I used about 30%.

I fixed the eyes then
Add a soft frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RestoreAfterweb.jpg (100.0 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM

HI Cupcake... thank you so much... how did you get the eyes to look so good - what steps did you take if you do not mind me asking? Its looks like you added a sepia tone to it? Did you use any sharpening? Your rendition looks crisper I truly appreciate your comments and assistance!

Best Wishes to you - Felinawi
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Added some color to her cheeks.

Regards Patsym
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RestoreBefore By Patsy 2.jpg (99.9 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Hi,

felinawi,

I think you did quite a nice job so far!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinawi View Post
Hi I need some help on this photo... I am not an expert by any means -- and my weakness is getting rid of grain and then somehow bringing back detail without bringing back the grain.
To minimize the noise I used first Filter>Noise>Dust&Scratches s described in this Tutorial

Then Neat Image (Examples)

Quote:
...If you look at the skirt area of her dress you can see a definite line where its darker on the bottom compared to the top - I am not sure how to deal with and hoping for some advice and / or a description of the steps I should take to fix this.
For this I used the Dodge&Burn technique as described in this great Tutorial

To soften the effect of dodging and burning I usually set the blending mode of the Dodge&Burn Layer to 'Soft Light' instead of 'Overlay'.

Quote:
Because this was an oval I have tried to reconstruct corners (Fill / Content aware) so its a rectangle - I know that the corners still need more work... I just wanted to upload what I have so far and ask how I fix / get rid of that distinct line in her dress area... and ask for advice on what else should be done... did I bring too much contrast back? As you can see it was a very faded photo.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Because I do not think I can make the bottom corners "perfect" per say... what advice do you have for me... maybe a vignette?
To remove the distinct line in the dress I used Spot Healing Brush and Healing Brush Tools.

For the contrast, I think you could even increase it a bit more ... You are right, it is a very faded photo and the little girl somehow fades into the background ... So, be a bit more daring with the contrast ... but without overdoing it ... Too often, a strong contrast is applied to this kind of images as a quick, easy way to hide problems ... I rarely apply a 'global' contrast to an image to prevent further darkening already dark areas, and blown out spots in the light areas. I tend to select each part and adjust the contrast individually.

And yes to the Vignette.

Quote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my post
You are very welcome ... and let us know if you need more help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Paysym... Thank you so much for showing me some coloring variations... I truly appreciate you input.

Lina
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 AM

I am so sorry for the typo Patsym
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Hi Flora... wow thank you so much for you input and tips I truly appreciate it. I have seen a lot of your work up here and you are Amazing! I truly appreciate all your advice and tips and even just trying out my photo here.

One quick question... What are some good ways to adjust the contrast in different sections vs globally? I am assuming you try to select things individually like the chair.. or her dress... and the adjust?

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
Felinawi
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 PM

Hi again felinawi!

Thank you so much for your feedback and kindness!!!

Quote:
...One quick question... What are some good ways to adjust the contrast in different sections vs globally? I am assuming you try to select things individually like the chair.. or her dress... and the adjust?
That's exactly what I do (actually for most of my corrections not only for contrast)... like in the examples below...

In the 1st one I wanted to minimize the darker spot in her hair (on my left) so I loosely selected that part, used a Levels Adjustment Layer to lighten it an the Blurred the Mask of the Levels layer until my correction blended seamlessly in with the surrounding area. If necessary, I correct the mask using a very soft Brush (Black if I wish to partially hide the effect of my correction or White if I wish to partially show it..) to paint on the Mask at a Opacity of 30-50%.

SNAP-125.jpg

In the 2nd one I used the exact same procedure to darken/emphasize the 'more faded' part of the little girl's hair (on my right)

SNAP-124.jpg

In this way I balance the 'inconsistencies' of the luminosity (colour, graininess etc.) exactly where I want it and as much as I want it without correcting the parts of the picture that do not need corrections!

Hope this helps .. and don't hesitate to ask more whenever you need it..

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration