Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Hair pulling time on old photo

Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Hair pulling time on old photo

Although I have been around for a bit I have not posted much other then an intro (I think).

I have been interested in retouching for a while now but have not done much with it due to time constraints. I guess I would call myself a semi-newbie or just a plain old newbie.

I was given a photo by my wifes uncle who has carried this photo of his deceased brother for some 40 years in his wallet. He had asked if I could restore it as best as I could and like the nut case I am said "sure". When I got home I took a close look at it and new I was in trouble.

I scanned it in and saved it as a raw (.dng) file. I must have tried 12 different ways of restoring this then ran across this message on retouch pro.

In viewing message #10 I was wondering if Frequency Separation would help but the further I got the more confused I became because there are apparently many types of FS including the use of 8 bit and 16 bit files. I was working on a 16 bit file. I also felt using an action would help as in that message and decided to wait on the tutorial that was to be written meanwhile trying to figure out if it would help this image and watching a you tube video but it looked like it more for a retouch rather then a restoration.

I would appreciate some help with the following questions:

Would some sort of FS help?
If not how would you suggest I work with this file and:
Is it restoreable?

I have available the following programs:
Photoshop CS5 with a few topaz plugins
Neat image (free) which limits the save to an 8 bit file.
Paint shop photo pro X3

I have attached 2 files to give you a quick idea of how the photos look and given 2 links for the larger sized photos.

One thing please. There are probably many programs out there that can help but right now I cannot afford any of them as of now.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vuescan.jpg (99.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg try_1.jpg (96.1 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration