RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Noob: Restoring photos from old damaged negatives

Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 AM

Newbie Noob: Restoring photos from old damaged negatives

G'day everyone,

I have only just joined this forum and am very much an amateur and novice when it comes to photo restoration, having only done basic noise reduction, cropping etc in the past.

My brother has been scanning old negatives and sharing them with me to see if I can restore them. From the look of the scans I'd say that the negatives have deteriorated badly. I think they are medium or large format, (each neg is about 5" X 2.5"). He scanned at 1800 dpi and saved them as TIFF.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if I am heading in the right direction or give me some pointers for restoring this photo (and many others like it that I have). I have been reading through the other threads looking for ideas, but none quite suit my situation.

Steps I have taken so far:

1) Inverted the negative image
2) Cropped & resized
3) Auto tone
4) Dust & Scratches
5) FFT
6) Curves

I would especially like to be able to remove the blotch on my Mum's face, but I am not overly hopeful. During one attempt at restoring this photo I actually "extracted" my Mum from another photo taken at the same session (but with a different pose) and used it to replace her in this photo, which did seem to work, so as a last resort I could that again if necessary.

I thank you all in advance of any help you can give me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image584.jpg (83.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg image584-auto-tone.jpg (88.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg image584-after-fft-and-curves.jpg (74.4 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Re: Noob: Restoring photos from old damaged negati

I would go ahead and use the face from the better photo of your mom if it works with the position she is in from your main image.... their is nothing to work with in the blotched image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 06:01 PM

Thank you Wolfman I had a feeling that was going to be the way to go. Now all I have to work out how to do is to tidy up the background and improve the look of everything. I did do some cloning of the background but it looked very unnatural. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I have attached a couple of attempts at cloning. The first was done before I had discovered FFT filter here on this forum. The second one I did last night before I posted the thread, but I am not happy with it. My novice status is just too obvious I think; probably my patience level also.

Thanks for your advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image584-no fft.jpg (62.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg image584-cloned.jpg (94.4 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Patron

I may be off base but it appears from what you have written that your brother is scanning negative film on a flatbed scanner normally used for reflective scanning, not transparency film. If the scanner does not have a special transparency adapter, then you are introducing a whole pile of problems by scanning a negative. First of all, negative film has a special colored coating which the scanner s/w compensates for. Your tone and color (if neg is color) will be way off if you just scan and invert. Usding a reflective lid on the scanner will cause a scan of a negative to pick up grain, patterns and any dirt or imperfections on the scanner lid which is not intended to be scanned.
You really should be using a scanner which is intended for transparency (negatives or positives / slides).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 PM

working on photo...tried apply image and calculations... will try again and show tomorrow
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM

Actually, mistermonday, my son said exactly the same thing. My brother is indeed just using his normal flatbed scanner to scan the negatives. My son suggested re-scanning using his scanner which has the transparency adapter, although it could be some time before he gets access to the negatives.

With that in mind it probably is now a waste of time working on the existing scan?

nazca13 thank you for having a go, but please don't waste too much of your time
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM

well maybe another day... trying to increase density for the two boys, but everytime I try.. the grime beats me first.. even tried blurring it first to rid some the jpeg artifacts... we give it another.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Wombo55 - look at what you have accomplished already - if you get good scans (always scan in RGB color, not black/white, so you have more channels available), then you will have less work that needs to be done hopefully. But you already have taken images that were sitting as negative in some storage area and brought them out where your family can see them again - that is the main point anyway. Making them look better will be something you can continue to work on and will help you improve your skills on images that are important to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
I may be off base but it appears from what you have written that your brother is scanning negative film on a flatbed scanner normally used for reflective scanning, not transparency film. If the scanner does not have a special transparency adapter, then you are introducing a whole pile of problems by scanning a negative. First of all, negative film has a special colored coating which the scanner s/w compensates for. Your tone and color (if neg is color) will be way off if you just scan and invert. Usding a reflective lid on the scanner will cause a scan of a negative to pick up grain, patterns and any dirt or imperfections on the scanner lid which is not intended to be scanned.
You really should be using a scanner which is intended for transparency (negatives or positives / slides).
Most flatbed scanners these days comes with the ability to scan prints, transparencies, negative (b&w and color).
I use a Epson V800 Photo with SilverFast AI v8 and I can scan anything up to a A4 size.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2017, 11:50 PM

I have negative film that i try to develop a photo from my local photo lab. but photo come very bad condition. I think negative is damage. can negative possible to restore or recover?

see atachment for my photo scan copy that come from Lab. And Negative scan copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg negetiv.jpg (47.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 75 k.jpg (45.4 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration