RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Uneven saturation etc

Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 PM

Uneven saturation etc

What would be the best procedure for fixing up the saturation in this photo of my Mum? No matter what I do I can't seem to fix the patchy appearance of the colour.

I have tried many things and my latest attempt is attached also.

The image was scanned by my brother at 400dpi from a black and white print.

Thanks in advance of any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mum-on-horse.jpg (95.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Mum-on-horse-edit.jpg (64.9 KB, 141 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Re: Uneven saturation etc

I thought that I would give this a try. I am sure that some of the far more experienced people here will give you much better advise. I just used a little surface blur, blended a copy layer with Multiply, and touched up with a little cloning and healing. I hope that this is in the direction that you wanted to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mum-on-horse2.jpg (87.3 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Patron

here is my version .... not very much difference.. but a softer look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mum-on-horse-OB.jpg (186.1 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Here is another try
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horse-web.jpg (98.0 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Post Re: Uneven saturation etc

Than you TerryLP, Olbaldy and Cupcake for your efforts. It obviously is a challenge to bring this photo back to life so I don't feel too bad about my poor efforts now. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2012, 04:26 AM

Wombo, I like this picture! Thought I'd give it a try. I tried to fix the patchiness in the luminosity and keep the patina of the original. I selected the sky with the color range on a new layer. Then ran the reduce noise filter on ten with preserve details at one. I changed the layer blend mode to lighten and then reduced the opacity to about 65 where the white of the horses nose looked ok. Then I basically reversed everything. Drug the layer to duplicate it. Inverted the mask, set layer to darken, used the brush tool to mask out the darker areas of grass then Gaussian blur on the mask to soften it, and then reduced the opacity to make everything blend ok, Oh, and masked out mom's face. That's about it, little shadow highlight to bring out the horses eye and to increase contrast. To save the color and even it out I flattened the image and then copied the layer, averaged it, and changed the blend mode to color. Then with hue sat, I desaturated the original layer. Last I did a little touching up with the spot healing brush. Lots of ways to skin this cat, mine is down and dirty. You could do a lot better than I did by zooming in on areas of grass and taking time with the masking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mum-on-horse.jpg (93.3 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Ok, why not replace the grass field with a more cleaner field? This way you can get rid of the blotches without too much trouble. Here's what I did:

1. I googled for "grass field" and found a picture I thought might do the trick (http://th05.deviantart.net/fs4/PRE/i...s_Field_01.jpg)
2. Opened it in Irfanview, selected the grass and pasted it in a new layer in Photoshop.
3. Rotated it, scaled it, removed the color, blurred it to match the image and created a mask for the horse.
4. Found the grass was a bit too light and darkened it a bit.

It's a simple process with nice results. You might find a better grass field image, as the blades are a bit too large in this one, compared to the horse, but I doubt anyone would really notice. I didn't cover the entire grass field of the original, but with a bit more effort I'm sure you can get a convincing picture.

Good luck!

PS: I just realized the horse in the original picture was probably standing on sand or something. Just use some different picture to create the ground if it matters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HorseInField-b.jpg (86.7 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration