RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Looking for suggestions / help

Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Exclamation Looking for suggestions / help

Hi there,

I am looking to see if anyone has any suggestions that can help to get some more info out of this image that is for restoration.

So far not had great results and when you enhance the image all the fingerprints jump out at you

Any help that anyone can suggest would be greatfully recieved.

thanks,

regards,

David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TE 201012 base retouch pro.jpg (83.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg TE 201012 work retouch pro.jpg (84.0 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Patron

Re: Looking for suggestions / help

Do you have an original COLOR copy of this photo? If not ... can you re-copy the photo in color without any automatic settings turned on (as described here "Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering" )
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 AM

David, OlBaldy's suggestion is where I would start. You've done a good job with what you have to work with. If you can rescan I would suggest doing targeted adjustments. Make a selection of the female, jump her to a new layer and work on getting the luminosity right, then the male, then the background. At least that's how it worked for me when I tried it, it basically broke apart on it's own into 3 pieces. The background wants to disappears into black (which I would not like, losing everything on the shelf) the woman's face disappears into light and the mans face lives in an awful grey. Anyway, fun image to work on, I'll be anxious to see if you can rescan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Hi there I have attached a copy of the origonal file before the colour was turned into a B&W using a B&W adjustment layer in CS5.

The scan was done at 1200dpi to get the maximum data out of the image with no corrections and was scanned 3 times using a 90 degree turn each time then combined together.

I prefer to always scan in colour mode then make my own conversions later to get the best out of the file.

there is nothing left in the ladies white dress in her lap etc having blown out but if I could managed to get something better out of the rest of it then I would be pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Base-join work.jpg (89.2 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Patron

Are you sure that your copy of the original is actually from a full colour scan? The RGB channels look identical as if either scanned as B&W or later converted. I would have expected to see more difference and hopeful that some of the damage could be seprated in the channels.

I do not envy you the task of bringing this one back as it stands due to the extensive damage. Had a quick play using masked curve layer in an attempt to even up exposure and see what detail may be lurking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DamagedB&W.jpg (120.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM

I can confirm that it was from a full colour scan and as stated scanned 3 times rotating 90 degrees each time with no corrections etc and all scanned at 1200.

I think that the customer was expecting far too much and was expecting to have a fully restored image like it was new again!!

I have attached what I have finished on after numerious layers each with a masked curve layer just for that part of the image - seperate ones for the man, woman, background and carpet.

Im fairly happy with what I have come up with considering the starting point but I just cannot get the mans face to look any good. I have asked if the client has another image with him in it that I could have copied the face from but not from around that era when this image is from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Base-join work b retouch pro.jpg (90.7 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Patron

Considering what you were starting with this seems to be a pretty good job - silk purse out of a sows ear comes to mind.

Always a problem dealing with customer expectations vs realistic ending point and would they be prepared to pay for the time involved assuming that you had other resources available to make this a viable job for you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Here is another picture idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (98.4 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration