RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Examples of our restoration work

Old 08-14-2001, 04:41 PM

I thought that you did an excellent job with those photos.It is very helpful to view the before and after side by side . I was particularly impressed with the man by the bar. I like the "painterly" effect and have been trying to do more along that line. I sometimes combine photographs and art backgrounds. I'll try to post an example in the near future.The only thing that I might consider changing was the composite of the two sisters. I would have reversed the order so that the sister looking to the right is looking at the other sister. But maybe you did so and it didn't look right. I had the thought that since the feet always seem to be a problem area that we should make up a leg and shoe archive. Maybe we can start going around with our digital camera snapping legs and feet... my neighbors would really start thinking that the heat's gotten me! Isn't this hot, humid weather a great excuse to stay inside and work on our photographs. Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2001, 06:10 PM

Hi Paulette,
Thank you for your comments. I never even thought about trying to face the sisters or at least the one looking to one side. The client wanted them in the vertical 5x7 position and since they were so different in shadowing etc I aggreed that they wouldn't look right side by side. The only reason I put the lower one down was that she was actually darker and the top photo had a natural progression to darker at the bottom so they blended easier. I guess I could have moved her to the other side and she would have been facing in the direction of her sister. I never even thought of it. Good point.

Yeah here in Florida you could take pictures of bare legs all year for cloning purposes. Good idea. I've had a few times when I needed some good shoes or legs for a photo. I was just lucky that one had one.

Look forward to seeing your work. Glad I got someone eager to upload some of her work. Thanks again Paulette
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2001, 11:20 PM

Hi DJ

Everyone, I had the pleasure of meeting DJ, we found out we are practically neighbors!!! Small world. I saw her work and WOW very very impressive. It's hard to see the quality online, I was really amazed at how she got all the detail. I showed her my work and she was very encouraging about my "butcher" job of my wedding photo restoration. LOL LOL. I am trying and learning so much from this forum. You all have helped me soooooooo much. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2001, 12:12 AM
Janitor

Wow, my little board helped make some new in-person friends

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy...

I need a hug
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2001, 05:57 AM

Okay...here's a huge hug for Doug...lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2001, 07:29 AM

Okay all,

Here's some examples I've put on the webshots...hope I did it right..lol.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ladybelle76885

I'm not real sure if this will work and I just put up some quick samples and I'll add more as I can get some time.

Please view them and let me know any feedback as I appreciate any help I can get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2001, 07:42 AM

Chris, Excellent work, especially "Wedding" and "Granddad". Wish I had your eye for color! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2001, 09:28 AM

Thank you Chris for getting this parade started.

I am impressed!!! Your work is beautiful!! I loved how you got Grandma Moses to look lifelike again. That was a tough one. Don't you just love those ones that bring out the painter in you?

Grand-dad seems to pop right out of that picture. Your eyes are drawn right to him especially against that monotone background.

Loved them all but the wedding and Grand-dad really caught my eye.

I was hesitant at first to start this thread but now that it's going I am thrilled. It gives you so many ideas on how to approach your future restoration projects. We tend to work in a certain style. I think when we see other works we get insite to other ways of doing things and we are able to expand ourselves.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2001, 10:44 AM

Thanks so much Tom and DJ.

Okay you two, need to have any tips or suggestions on the ones that don't pop out...lol. One thing I've noticed on the colorization it does help a lot when your original is in very good condition. The grand-dad and wedding both were in excellent shape and had obviously been very well taken care of.

Need some ideas though on improving the not quite so "poppy" ones...lol.

Thanks again for checking them out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2001, 11:15 AM

Chris
You may have just answered your own question. You probably hit it on the head when you said alot depends on the condition of the photo you scanned from. Your work is still exceptional "poping out" or not.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration