RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Need help with foster pet Collage project

Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 PM

Need help with foster pet Collage project

I need help creating a collage for my wife as a Christmas gift, so time is of the essence. Just to give you an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish, my wife and I have been fostering kittens for the past several months for our local SPCA. I have tried to keep a catalog of photos of all of the kitties that we have fostered. Creating the actual collage itself is not what I'm having trouble with. I have a program that will take all of the photos that I've input and will automatically create a collage to the shape and size that I want. What I need help with is the design after that.

I would like to use Photoshop to create several different effects but am having no luck translating my idea successfully onto the screen. I would like to use the collage I've created as the overall background image, but in black and white. On top of that black & white photo collage of the kitties, I want to overlay a transparent silhouette of two cats facing each other forming a heart. I have downloaded a clip art outline that I can use to create the silhouette. I want the underlying black & white photos from the collage that fall within the confines of the silhouette to be in color and slightly magnified and shadows underneath the silhouette. I want to also add text that is transparent as well and colorizes what pics are underneath. I realize this is a multi stepped project that would take a great deal of explaining, but if anyone could give me any guidance at all, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm having a difficult time translating the ideas in my head to key Google seach words that would point me in the direction of what I'm trying to accomplish. I've tried finding a similar project or tutorial but am having no luck. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 PM

Re: Need help with foster pet Collage project

Hi!

From what I gather, you will need to put each of the effects you would like to add on it's own layer. Then you can adjust the opacity and blend mode as you see fit. If you have not worked with layers, then that is what you will have to search on the internet for.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 PM

"and shadows underneath the silhouette. I want to also add text that is transparent as well and colorizes what pics are underneath."

All of this can be done with "layer style". Not sure what your skill level is. Double click a layer in the layers panel to bring up the layer style dialogue box. You'll see a tic box for shadow. Click where it says shadow to bring up the shadow dialogue and play with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Again, not sure about your experience but when you say I want the underlying black & white photos from the collage that fall within the confines of the silhouette", there are several ways to do this. One way is to have your hear shape on one layer and the picture of cats on the other layer (this layer should be active). Choose (layer>Group with layer) and the heart shape should merge with the cat photo. This is actually a masking technique.

There are several tutorials on you tube - search merge text with photo or combine text with photo and that should give you an idea of "add text that is transparent as well and colorizes what pics are underneath.". If I am understanding correctly, both combining a heart shape with a cat photo and colorizing under the text are similar techniques that just require different manipulation.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration