Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help Please...Parents Wedding photo smoke damage

Old 12-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Help Please...Parents Wedding photo smoke damage

I posted back in October asking for some advice and got some nice help. I am hoping someone can help me with this one. It's the last photo i have to fix and I am having a problem. The Dress in the photo is so yellowed from smoke damage I cant seem to get the color to white. Attacted is a quick startng point i have...Yes I realize there are patches and spots i have to fix yet. I can do those with some time and the healing and spot brush. I added a curves layer to set white, black and grey. I also added a Hue and Sat layer and turned down the Yellows. ((Yes I realize I have to mask out just the dress..i just added this quickly to show the problem))

Anyone have a suggestion to get out the dark part of the dress....I tried Dodge but that takes out the details(unless i am doing it wrong)

Please point me in the right direction. I will be checking this page often today...I am under a bit of a Christmas timeline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untouched.jpg (75.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Photoshop36.jpg (87.9 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Re: Help Please...Parents Wedding photo smoke dama

Image a little small so unsure what detail the dress holding but I think you should be able to get a satisfactory result using a Curves adjustment layer and a final layer set to color.

Using your edited image as a starting point:

Rather than trying to mask out the dress I applied an overall curve adjustment to lighten the damaged areas - be careful you do not obliterate any detail in the larger image.

Then applied an inverted mask to the curves layer and painted on the mask with a white brush varying the brush opacity to build up the required density. Hopefully the attached will give you an idea of the curves layer and the mask requirements

Finally still had some unacceptable colour cast so on a new layer set to colour sampled the dress and painted over with a sampled colour.

Not the only way to do this but hope it is of some help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrideDress.jpg (88.5 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Re: Help Please...Parents Wedding photo smoke dama

thanks very much for the pointed me in the right direction....I added some other layers..painted...Soft light layer with white paint also helped a lot.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration