RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help with over exposed image

Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Help with over exposed image

Hoping that someone may be able to help me . I have a TIFF image scanned from an original negative of a P-47 aircraft during WWII. The picture is of nose art, “Thin Girl”, on the front of the aircraft. Unfortunately the negative was over exposed and all that is visible to the eye is the legs of the artwork. I do not have access to the original negative anymore because we had to return it to the owner.
My friend has Photoshop and when we inverted the image you can see the complete silhouette of the art work. Is there any way to recover the image of the nose artwork.? The pilot who flew that plane is still alive and does not have any other images of his plane. Thought it would be nice if I could somehow recover the over exposed artwork
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Re: Help with over exposed image

Hi avibuzz, welcome. Post the photo here so we can take a look at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM

Ok but the TIFF is 8 megs. Is there a limit on size that I can post? I appreciate the help
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 AM

Yes, the limit is 100kb. Yes pretty tiny. If you aren't sure how to do that I'll walk you through it quick.
In photoshop, under "image size" make the file no larger than 8X10 with constrain proportions checked.
Now use "Save for Web" and save it as a JPEG and just keep moving the slider until it says you are under 100K. Just be sure to save it as a different name so that you don't overwrite your original.
If that's all clear as mud don't be embarrassed to say and I'll post some screen shots. I know someone here, OlBaldy I think has a really good tutorial on posting images but I only looked for a sec and couldn't find it.

Another thing you could do is if you have an account with maybe photobucket or deviantart for example you can post there and just give us the link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM

I have a photobucket account. Here is the link, hope it works.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps7016aefb.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Patron

Not sure how much experience you or your friend has but one way to do this is with a curves layer with some masking for the prop.

Another way is to duplicate the layers in Photoshop and set the layer blend mode to multiply then drag this multiply layer down to copy one or two times to get the density correct for the fuselage - you will also need to mask out the propeller so that it does not get too dark.

Wait a few seconds for the attachment to change - this was done using the multiply layers as above and will need fine tuning to get the result you want
Attached Images
File Type: gif Plane.gif (150.8 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 AM

Unfortunately niether of us is very experienced with photoshop although it may be time to learn. I'm the historian for the 510th Fighter Squadron Association and we have over 1000 images scanned from the original negatives than need some work. Most are in very good shape but some like the image posted need some expertise. We will attempt to follow your suggestions and see if we can get some good results.
As a side note the gentleman who did most of the artwork went on to become an art professor at Eastern Illinois University after the war.

Really impressed with the photo you posted, I could almost make out the face of the "Thin Girl" Amazing! Thanks Tony

Last edited by avibuzz; 12-27-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Best I could come up with. Gotta run to the store. I'll write a little more later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GC-NG305_zps7016aefb.jpg (92.9 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Thanks Crazy, at least I have an idea of what to look for now if I come across something. I have a couple of contacts in France that may be able to help now that i at least have a silhouette of the "Thin Girl".
I have one question though. If I can get a hold of the original negative again is there anything that can be done to bring out the artwork correctly or is it a lost cause? Again many thanks to you and Tony W.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 PM

Oh my gosh yes! If you can get the original negative you can take several scans at a high DPI. If the scan you have now is more than a couple years old you can likely get more DPI now.
What I did (and btw, I felt like I overdid thin girl) was to treat the plane, the background the prop, and the thin girl separately. This is what you could do with the original negative. Scan for the girl, every thing else will be way too dark. But then you scan for the body of the plane and so on. Now you put all of those scans in Photoshop and combine them and you'll have a great image.

Lastly, my silhouette of the girl (and from what i can tell that's all she ever was was just a silhouette) was done by zooming in, adding a levels adjustment layer and taking the middle slider way down to bring her out. I made a mask of where it looked to me like she was and then darkened the surrounding plane a couple times with multiply layers. So in other words she is original, everything else is darker. A small amount of her is my best guess and may not be exactly what was there originally.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration