RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Adobe Photoshop Certification Question

Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Patron

Post Adobe Photoshop Certification Question

It had crossed my mind to finally become Adobe Certified for Photoshop in the Photography Category. I figured I would be able to pass the test with flying colors, and I would not even need to apply myself.

At least, that was until I started looking into the types of things on the test. What I reviewed as a few pages of a primer. I really do not know how much of it was truly on the test, but in the time I looked this document over, I found a few things that left me a bit perplexed.

It mentioned Puppet Warp (Puppet Warp is a toy, and I would NEVER in my professional career ever touch the silly thing).

It asked questions about Video (I am a photo retoucher. I know nothing at all about video, nor do I want to).

A valid question about adjusting selected midtones, I said Mask with Curves, and the multiple choice wanted me to Dodge protecting highlights (Which is damaging pixels, and I would never do that).

It further went into Panoramas and HDR Processing (Neither of which, would I leave in the hands of some Automated PlugIn. I would get better results by doing it myself).

So, my general question is this: I am not trying to be all "know-it-all", I'm just asking if there were any other knowledgeable opinions about the Certification Test. My first exposure to it left me wondering, well.... Why would I need to know much of this stuff? The questions just kind of left me feeling like it wanted me to "play with my food", instead of finding out if I "actually ate it".
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Re: Adobe Photoshop Certification Question

Kind of gives you an idea of the worth (or lack thereof) of the certification!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Patron

Heh... I'm kinda surprised to hear you say that Andrew. But yes, the more I looked into it (since my post), the less interested I have become.

I found another small test and found that of 10 questions, 7 were Photoshop (I got them all right) and 3 were Photography/Business (I got those 3 wrong). Of the Photoshop questions, several I further questioned the validity, given that more than one was pixel damaging, and there were better ways to achieve the same result.

It reminded a bit of a question on my Drivers License test 20+ years ago. It said "At a four-way intersection there is a Police Car, Ambulance, Postal Truck, and a Fire Engine. they all have their lights on. Who has the right of way?" My first comment is that I am not there, so it's irrelevant to me. But, to obvious answer, the Ambulance because no matter where they are going, someone's life is in danger. However, that is the wrong answer, because the Postal Truck is Federal, and that truck would have the right of way. However, it's again irrelevant, because he would likely be the last to go.

I think I would rather ponder which flavor of ice cream I prefer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 PM

Just checking and I see the first (it was beta and free) Certification I took was October of 1995! Photoshop was a different beast then, with a smaller focus. Once Adobe started charging to take a test, and with the evolution of the product, the idea seemed less useful to me. I suspect today there are millions of lines of code in Photoshop that does stuff I never use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM

This is typical with software certification. I'm not sure what the value of photoshop certification is, but that kind of thing is extremely typical with things like IT certifications, of which there are many. You aren't being questioned on your personal tool choices. You're being questioned on the software itself. That midtones example is dumb as it is extremely ambiguous. The rest involves your knowledge of a program which is leveraged by a very wide range of industries.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM

I know a few who took the test, most of it had not much to do with retouching. A lot of the test was the gimmicks in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration