Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing Embossed Paper Pattern

Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Re: Removing Embossed Paper Pattern

The method to first make a mask to isolate the imperfections is a sound approach, and I still use it sometimes. However, the difference is that instead of fiddling around with simple tools to minimize the difference with the surrounding areas, I use this selection to be able to perform a context-aware-fill on just the cracks and their vicinity. That works quite nice. Before context-aware fill came out, I hardly ever used this method.

Tom M
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Re: Removing Embossed Paper Pattern

Originally Posted by unimatrix001 View Post
I see in an earlier comment you mentioned multiple scans... were they all scanned the same way.... if not try rotating the image 180 and scan again. or possibly rotating 90 and scan then another 90 scan doing this should create four scans all with different highlights on the texture by combining all the scans into one layer using darken or lighten you should be able to remove most of the texture. just a thought.
I tried this method and ran into serious problem with aligning the layers. Not really sure why this was... probably something happened in the scanning. Did you have similar problems?

The auto-align did a pretty good job, but not good enough so I went in and moved the layers one by one with the Difference blend mode on the top layer. I aligned the eyes in my portrait but I lost a lot of sharpness in the other parts of the photo. It shows in the bottom part of the attachments.

I am going to try to photograph this next...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stack_mean.jpg (63.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg onesidescan.jpg (86.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by martisak; 07-24-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Changed filenames, fixed some spelling mistakes, etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration