RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Bad Mould Old Neg

Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 AM

Bad Mould Old Neg

Hi,
I've attached my before/after of this restoration I have just done.
I always get stuck on photos like this which have lots of scratches/mould. I didn't do the original scan, unfortunately, as usually these old negs give up one good channel and so you can avoid the blue channel with most of the damage. Not so, this time, so it was a time consuming slog. (7 Hours)

I have CTein's book with a technique on just this kind of damage and did a post here requesting someone to explain it last week or so, because I really can't fathom what he's talking about. So in desperation I went for Neat Image with this photo to blur away happily what it could, lots of patching, spot healing, cloning etc.

But it always ends up looking patchy to me. Could anyone have a peek at the finished result and give me some hints on how I could improve on my workflow by fixing this damage at the outset. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enfantsOrigWeb.jpg (95.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg enfantsPShopV2FlatWeb.jpg (96.0 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 AM

Re: Bad Mould Old Neg

I think you did great work. I am not seeing the patchy. You could run the levels slider up and then nitpick about the legs but why? ( I learned about this from OPR, I sent them a pic I thought was perfect and got it back like this one a day later. I was crestfallen but I learned.) Anyway, great job!
Oh, and if you do have access to the originals Wolfs camera in the states sells some stuff specifically for scratches on slides. From the smell of it I'd suspect it would be effective on mold too. Sorry I can't tell you the name of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enfantsPShopV2FlatWeb.jpg (56.2 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM

Thanks crazyfly1. This pixel/edge-cloudiness in negs happen so often to me, and I think I'm doing something wrong in the original scan, although I didn't scan this one. I can do high res scans and still end up with crap. I have a Epson 4990. I did have the next model up, an Epson 700V (or whatever), but went back to my old one as it gave better results. I suppose if the data is not there, the scanner can't reproduce it. And a don't want to be a bad workman..... It is just frustrating to end up with the knowledge you have hours of work in front of you. If only, if only, I could find a better fix for the mould or scratches at the ouset that doesn't kill what little detail is there.......
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 AM

http://www.scantips.com/calc.html I've found this calculator to be indispensable. Also click on the "main" button at the bottom of the page, huge amounts of information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 PM

I agree, you have really worked miracles here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Liz you can always use dust and scratches on a copy and change the mode to either lighten or darken and mask out the spots.. won't get all of them but at least a majority... ctein's steps are nice but they apply more to scratches or a particular(s) color casts..

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ouma-Pic-After-Healing-and-CloningB2.jpg (89.5 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration