Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Scanned Negative Color banding

Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Re: Scanned Negative Color banding

I would be grateful if you could explain how you used calculations and apply image.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Re: Scanned Negative Color banding

New layer, Open calculations, settings I used were Source 1: background,grey, Source 2: background Blue, Blending: pin light, Result: new channel. Click OK. Go to the channels pallet and make sure rgb is selected.

Go to apply image and I used Layer: background copy, Channel Alpha 1 (this is the channel you created in the calculations step) Blending normal Opacity 100, check preserve transparency (just in case you've done prior work) leave mask unchecked. Click OK. Change layer blend mode to Luminosity. Hold the alt or option key and click the add layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers pallet.

Select the brush tool and set the foreground color to white, now paint over the banding on the face and suit coat. Make sure your layer mask is still selected and add a Gaussian blur to the mask, I used a setting of 14 here.

Go ahead and merge those 2 layers and create a new copy layer. This is the last step to clean up the color. Switch the blend mode to color. Apply another Gaussian blur, I used 4.5 here. Create another black layer mask and paint in the effect over the color banding on the face and suit coat.

That's it. If you create a snapshot and flip back and forth between the original you'll see you darkened the face ever so slightly. I don't think it's enough to bother with but you could brighten it with a curves or levels layer if you feel the need.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask questions for clarification if my steps are confusing.

Last edited by crazyfly1; 03-24-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration